Dilemma...need some advice please...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
1st off, haven't been on here as much as I'd like to but, I'm unemployed right now (thank you Ms. Granholm!) & I need to spend most of my time finding a job.

Now, here's the dilemma...I have two boats. 1 is a 12' fiberglass rowboat modified into a miniature bass boat (I.e. front deck, rod holders, swivel seats, built in tackle box, battery storage, graph, front trolling mount bracket, etc..). It comes with a perfect running 7.5 hp 1983 Gamefisher outboard motor (I have new parts plus mechanics manual). with nice little trailer. I paid $150.00 for the boat & trailer & $185.00 for the motor (purchased seperately). $335.00 total

Second boat is a 14' Aluminum Sea King v-hull (shallow) with a 7.5 1979 Chrysler outboard (I just got done putting a brand new CD Stator in it) & it runs like a champ (started after the fourth pull after sitting dormant in some guy's shed for over 10 yrs). This boat has not been modified...YET just some minor mods on the trailer & a u-bolt in the front so I could use the wench to haul the boat on the trailer. I paid $50.00 for the boat, $50.00 for the trailer & $35.00 for the motor (CD Stator costs me $150.00) so $185.00 total for that. Total $285.00

HERE'S THE QUESTION: Somebody I know has a 14' modified (casting deck, half seat bass boat style seats, a home-made center console with a fold down padded bench seat, graph, etc..) DEEP V hull Aluminum boat with a running 1973 25 hp Johnson outboard & a nice trailer.The boat & motor are an ugly cameo color. The boat needs some TLC re-doing if it has any hope of looking like some of your great-looking mods here. QUESTION IS..SHOULD I TRADE BOTH MY PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED BOATS FOR THIS ONE BOAT? IS IT A FAIR TRADE? Thanks in advance.
Sorry, no pics of his boat & I'm still trying to get pics of my boat to publish to this link.

Hard to make a decision w/o pics to compare one boat to another, but from just reading the post I'd say no way. I'd keep your current boats. Who initiated the swap conversation, you or or the guy with the other boat? :-k . Is he a good friend, or someone you just casually know?

No way! You have two boats that you know work perfectly and that cost you very little money - you trade and this boat turns out to need a major fix and you are gonna be pissed.

Additionally, since you infer funds are tight - stick with what works otherwise you might just have a broken down boat and then, no boat fishing!

Waterwings said:
Hard to make a decision w/o pics to compare one boat to another, but from just reading the post I'd say no way. I'd keep your current boats. Who initiated the swap conversation, you or or the guy with the other boat? :-k . Is he a good friend, or someone you just casually know?

I know it's hard with no pics! :oops: But to answer your question, I initiated it. And he's someone I know casually. I traded him a new wood stove I picked up at a garage sale for $15.00 (not a typo) for a 3 bedroom home propane furnace (for use in my garage). Anyway, he mentioned his boat& trailer which he was asking $1200.00 for, Obviously I don't have the $$ so I initiated the discussion & we both said we'd think about it. Truth is, I don't need 3 boats (a jon boat, & 2 rowboats). And boats aren't selling very well here in Mich. right now given the extremely crappy economy in our state.

i would say do what you think is best you put your time and money in the boats you have and you now what he has i think only you would now what you trully want

Man, I hate retyping all this. Tried to post it and it said it went but I can't see it any where. I think I posted at the same time as DeDawg.

Anyhow, here is the jist of what I said:

Dollar for dollar it might be a fair trade. However you said his boat needs some TLC. Your 2 boats are in good shape and both motors run fine. If you keep your 2 boats and have to sell one, you still have one. If you trade for his, it will cost you money (even just to change titles and register it). If I was in your shoes, I would tell him I thought it over and decided to keep the 2 boats for a while longer.

It says his boat is a deep v ...is that what you want?(in the future)
A deep v is good for bigger lakes but the 14 foot still will hold you back there.I wouldn't want a deep v on small or shallow lakes,ponds.

You have 335 on the first boat,trailer and motor.

I think if it's what your really looking for get it,even though motor getting pretty old.
Might be better to sell your 2 boats,trailers and one motor and get a boat that you really want,if it's not what your looking for.

I'd keep both boats and see how things are come tax time.Then make a low ball offer on his boat, if you can afford to.Either way I'd keep both boats.

I agree. You know what you have now and even if money gets real tight you can spring for a couple of gallons of gas to get out there and fish.