DIY Junction Block

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlmood77

Reaction score
Needed a junction block for my rewire and didn't care to pay for one since I knew one could be made easily.

Went out and bought a plastic cutting board for around 2 bucks (this is what the whole project cost since I had everything else already).
Picture019.jpg

Cut 3 pieces about 3" X 1"
Picture021-1.jpg

Stack them together and drill a hole on each side for mounting. Insert screws to hold the pieces together.
Picture023-1.jpg

Mark the sides so that you can orient the pieces again later.
CopyofPicture030.jpg

Drill two more holes for 1/4" bolts that will be where the wiring will connect.
***Be sure to only go through the first layer and part way through the second***
Picture025.jpg

Take the pieces apart and drill out the holes in the middle piece so that the bolt head of the 1/4" bolts will pass through.
Insert bolts through the first layer.
CopyofPicture027.jpg

Now use some epoxy and assemble the pieces back together.
Let assembly set.
Add a bridge piece in the middle.
Epoxy some washers on the studs.
Let set.
Counter sink the mounting holes through the first layer.
Picture031.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture036-1.jpg

Wait 24 hours and clean up all the edges w/ some sandpaper and you have yourself a $2 juction block

Should have made it a tad bit bigger, but I believe it will work just find for all intended uses.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Merry Christmas :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well the project did not work as well as expected. Evidently the epoxy will not stick to the plastic. Must be some type of teflon or other coating on it. Thought about sanding on it, but decided on making one out of some thin plywood sheets instead :cry:

if you use that stuff you get in a tube and roll together in your hands... can't remember the name of it to save my life.. anyways, I know you can use that stuff to form a bond - and it will work for plastic.

Billy Mays does an infomerical on it, but it's not that crap he's selling... some kind of silly putty

3M 5200 will stick those together. Lets just say the reason I used that material for something was because I thought the 3M wouldn't adhere so well to it. And we will also just say that they pieces are still in the back of the shop, stuck together, where I flung them, after attempting to twist them apart.

Latest posts