DIY Swamp Light/Spreader Light Bar

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Man

Reaction score
I am in the process of tearing my boat apart and re-wiring it before duck season. I pulled my light bar off to re-paint it and decided to do a quick writeup on how I built it in case anyone wanted to build their own. Last year I wanted to mount lights to the front of my boat, but was having a hard time figuring out how and where I wanted them mounted so they were inside the gunnels but still out of the way. I wanted something that looked clean and hid the wires, but was having a hard time finding a suitable mounting bar until I walked past a shower grab bar in Home Depot. They are designed for wet environments, mount flush, and are a clean tubular design. Best of all, they come in various lengths for different size boats. I chose a 36" for mine which allowed enough room on the sides to mount my trolling motor and my front depth finder. While it is off, I am looking at the options of running LED bulbs or HID bulbs in the housings. The current 55w per light x 4 is a huge draw on my batteries if I am running all 4 at once. Going to HID's will only drop the draw by 80 watts but will be a brighter option than going with LED's which will drop the entire draw to around 30-40 watts but wont provide as much light. During the summer we run the rivers at night cat fishing, so forward lighting while running is crucial for avoiding obstacles.

bc035482-e449-4010-8b69-9525f370a305_300.jpg

From there, I picked up some one hole conduit hangars that fit snugly onto the bar. (My shower bar was 1 1/2" so I used 1 1/2" hanger strap)

183ed3fe-1ce0-4971-8b12-e029a250055f_300.jpg

I spent some time laying out where I wanted lights to go, and in the end I was able to fit 4 55w offroad lights and my navigation light. Once I had decided where the straps were going to go, I drilled and riveted them on in 3 places for each strap. Each strap has the hole facing up for light bracket mounting. (Shown with light bracket already mounted)

I drilled a hole directly under my nav. light, so the wire could be run directly down into the bar, but the swamp lights required a hole for each of the light's wiring.

And once all the lights are mounted, all the wiring can be run through the bar and then through a hole in the deck.

The final install

Looks good man!! I'm eventually going to need to do something like this for when I go out by myself. Need to figure out a way to keep the lights low profile or off to the side of the rails though. We are in and out of the boat from the bow way to much for something like you have. We'd be busting out lights for sure.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329632#p329632 said:
BigTerp » 39 minutes ago[/url]"]Looks good man!! I'm eventually going to need to do something like this for when I go out by myself. Need to figure out a way to keep the lights low profile or off to the side of the rails though. We are in and out of the boat from the bow way to much for something like you have. We'd be busting out lights for sure.

Unless I am docked (rarely) the bow is the only way I get on or off the boat. I havent busted one off yet. They are less than 8" off the height of the deck. Lower profile spreader lights like the offshore boys use would keep your height to around 3" off the deck. The only problem with this is that the closer a light is to the water, the less effective it is.

Very nice setup! I'm also trying to get my boat ready for duck season and was trying to figure out some lighting. I think i may try something like this. Thanks for the idea!

Latest posts