do i need this

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May be even simpler...
Is the vent open on your gas tank;lets air in?
Sounds like it will run,if fuel can keep coming.

thanks guys its a lot easier to look at out of the water im going to hopefully check today i had all vents open that i know of hopefully its just kinking somewhere when i apply gas

Not common,...but...I have read of the inside of fuel lines collapsing after long term exposure to heat.

Also, the new ethanol-added-gasoline can really do a job on them. I had to replace my hose and bulb shortly after Ethanol gas was added to all of our local pumps. Rich

Also(maybe) the vent on the tank could be messed up,not letting air in.
Take the cap right off and see if that helps.
Are they old metal tanks?
Maybe theres crap in the filter leaving the tank(if there is one).

i added a new bulb and line tested yester could not get to full wot i added a small fuel cleaner and had her in a 50 gallon drum (seemed to work) [-o< have to take her out again maybe when the hurricane hits lol i might be able to go down the rd with it :shock:

Just a thought....you may or may not be chasing the right issue or solution.

Outboard motors almost all have a "protect mode" automatically set up. The "protect or guardian mode" kicks in when the engine is not getting something right. i.e. not enough water to cool; not enough oil in the fuel; something blocked, etc. Guardian or Protect mode allows the engine to run at partial throttle to get you home, but won't go WOT until the problem is corrected.

I did a quick Google search and found this paragraph for a newer model Merc.

"After your Mercury outboard goes into "guardian" mode protection, do you have to erase that code after fixing the problem?
captbone posted 09-07-2005 08:59 PM ET (US)
To erase it on your Smartcraft system you don't have to have it reset at the dealer or mechanic. It will do it on its own. If you go into guardian mode for over-heat, over-rev, high vent, low oil and then fix the problem, the system will be back to normal and you should be fine. Just my 2 cents"

As you can see, there a a number of things that can cause a motor not go into WOT. I have no idea which one might apply to you.

Rich

clarego said:
duuuuuuuuuuuuh #-o #-o #-o what is wot :?: im new

Wide Open Throttle

One thing to consider before removing the oil mixture apparatus is that some engines employ a variable mix ratio that changes depending on the RPMs. At high RPMs you need to use more (I believe) oil to fuel ratio so that injection unit will change your ratio automatically. This allows for better performance then a simple pre-mix where the ratio never changes

From the 1989 Merc. manual:

"Operation of the Oil Injection System

The oil injection system delivers oil mixture on engine demand, from 100 to 1 at idle to 50 to 1 at wide open throttle.
"

So you DO NOT want to remove this and just use a pre-mix - it will effect your engine performance

runs good now im still hesitating on that autoblend system i cant afford a new engine. im going to remove her and check on it but i got her going and everything is a ok

Captain Ahab said:
clarego said:
duuuuuuuuuuuuh #-o #-o #-o what is wot :?: im new

Wide Open Throttle

One thing to consider before removing the oil mixture apparatus is that some engines employ a variable mix ratio that changes depending on the RPMs. At high RPMs you need to use more (I believe) oil to fuel ratio so that injection unit will change your ratio automatically. This allows for better performance then a simple pre-mix where the ratio never changes

From the 1989 Merc. manual:

"Operation of the Oil Injection System

The oil injection system delivers oil mixture on engine demand, from 100 to 1 at idle to 50 to 1 at wide open throttle.
"

So you DO NOT want to remove this and just use a pre-mix - it will effect your engine performance

If doing without oil injection, do a 64:1 ratio (2oz oil per gallon of gas) and don't worry about it! 8)
Like i said before, most, if not all outboards can actually run a lifetime on a 100:1 ratio, but the manufacturers went to a 50:1 ratio recommendation to protect against people who can't measure right! :roll:
from mid/late 80's back, smaller outboards had a recommended 100:1 ratio (says that right on the side of my 1986 Johnson 9.9) and that's because they can and WILL run fine at that ratio, but I still think better too much oil than not enough, thus the 64:1 ratio I run 8)
I run my pre mix outboards at a 64:1 ratio (for the last 35 yrs), and I do not do any trolling, run mostly at mid to wot. 8)

Latest posts