Does anyone know what these are

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Don

Reaction score
Does anyone know what these are? I seen them when I was a kid 5-10 and they where in my 1965 boat.
Must be something to do with fishing.
Couldn't before rod storage.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20231208_152144.jpg
    20231208_152144.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231208_152150.jpg
    20231208_152150.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231208_152156.jpg
    20231208_152156.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Commonly called a "thingy".
My wife would call it, “A rusty clampy thingy.”

The first thing that came to my mind was paint bucket holders. Clamp a couple on top of a ladder and hold the paint can handle in the notches. One clamp on each side of the handle. That’s just a guess.

Or maybe a gunnel clamp to hold a seine net or trot line.

Assuming they were used on the boat. And, if we assume it was clamped to the gunnel, then those notches would be facing up. The angle of the notched side would make the notched side more horizontal on an angled hull side. The question is still why & what.

Where else could you put a clamp -- transom or benches?

This is a head scratcher.

I'm usually pretty good at stuff like this, but even Google Lens couldn't solve this poser. I will say though as a former house painter I'm nearly positive they're not for holding a paint can. I think kazzer may have nailed it.

I'm pretty sure they are the transom mounts for a small engine, and they allow for a different pitch to the engine, which has a horizontal bar.

You can see a similar setup on this old British Seagull engine --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BritishSeagull2.JPG

You and @Stand Up seem to have the best explanation. They just seem too light weight to me, but who knows. Maybe they were transom mounts for some vintage trolling motor.