DrakeMK3's 1971 Sears 14 ft. flat bottom w/7 hp outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrakeMK3

Reaction score
Greetings all!

This is my first boat ever, so go easy on me. :)

The story: My father-in-law bought this boat and motor new in 1971 when he lived in Florida then moved to TN shortly after. After the move, the boat sat for about 40 years in his backyard. and he recently offered it to me, so I said "YES" because I'd like to make some fun memories with my kids and I never had anything like this growing up.

The old plywood transom was completely rotted and the piece that goes on the exterior of the boat was completely gone. It measures 13 ft. 10 in. long and 30 something inches wide (forgot what I measured). The motor he gave me is a Ted Williams 7 hp.

I loaded her up on my 5x8 utility trailer
boat%20on%20trailer.jpg

The first thing I did was make a boat motor stand so I could work on it a little easier and I purchased a carburetor rebuild kit.

Motor%20stand.jpg

When I pulled the coil off I could see that it was cracked badly, so I knew it would need to be replaced.
Ignition%20coil.jpg

Through an google search, I was able to find an ebay listing for a coil that would work on this motor. Luckily, they took a picture with the company name and part number, so I searched that and found it was carried at O'reily's. So, $22 and 20 minutes later, I had a new coil for the motor.

Here she is!
New%20boat.jpg

I dug out all of the old rotted transom wood.
rotted%20wood.jpg

Then I removed the lower bracket and drilled all of the rivets out to accomodate 1/4" stainless hardware.
bracket%20removed.jpg

I filled her up to check for leaks...NO LEAKS!!!
No%20leaks!.jpg

I cut out the transom pieces out of some hard butcher block and plywood with no gaps and coated them in spar urethane.
Transom%20pieces.jpg

Here is the new inside piece installed with all hardware and 3M 5200 sealant
Transom%20inside.jpg

Here is the outside piece installed
Transom%20outside.jpg

My wife is calling her "The Handsome Transom" which I find hilarious. Anyway, the engine is back together, running and I'm just waiting for an impeller to arrive to replace the old one and she'll be ready for the water this upcoming labor day weekend. To transport the boat, I plan on modifying my utility trailer so that it works out as a 2 function trailer. I'll be sure to post pics of "boat mode" utility trailer soon and I look forward to contributing on this forum. Let me know what you think!

-Drake

Latest posts