Drive on trailer? Do you power load?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally if a boat ramp is constructed right power loading will never cause a wash out hole. Power loading is necessary for most larger boats. I have seen winches fail and broken wrists from the winch handle coming back around from the force it takes to pull a large boat up to the bow stop. If a person knows how to correctly power load there will never be a problem. According to your trailer setup and boat size power loading may be quicker or slower. Find what works best for your boat, trailer, and local boat ramp. According to which boat ramp I'm at I might power load my boat there but at another ramp it may or may not be possible due to ramp design, slope, current, and depth of water.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352321#p352321 said:
ccm » Yesterday, 18:12[/url]"]Generally if a boat ramp is constructed right power loading will never cause a wash out hole. Power loading is necessary for most larger boats. I have seen winches fail and broken wrists from the winch handle coming back around from the force it takes to pull a large boat up to the bow stop. If a person knows how to correctly power load there will never be a problem. According to your trailer setup and boat size power loading may be quicker or slower. Find what works best for your boat, trailer, and local boat ramp. According to which boat ramp I'm at I might power load my boat there but at another ramp it may or may not be possible due to ramp design, slope, current, and depth of water.
Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

Kinda on topic, we fish rivers, most of the time the current is to strong to power load. We have found, when possible to point the back of the trailer upstream a bit to make loading without power easier. Beach the craft upstream up the trailer. Make all arrangements and give her a shove out. When between but extended behind guides/side rails pull her in and hook to strap with crank. We can do all this in minimal time and never get wet.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352394#p352394 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 15 May 2014, 11:33[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352386#p352386 said:
jethro » Today, 10:24 am[/url]"]I challenge you to a boat launch and load off!! LOL

Did I just get slapped with a cartoon glove!? :mrgreen:

Haha! Maybe! I will tell you this, last night I decided to drive on the trailer, it was a nightmare. Must take some practice to get it right, took me three attempts to get the keel on the roller. How do you find that keel roller when you can't see it?

So if the competition involved us both power loading, I'd lose bad. And you would have a good laugh!

I have been around boats all my life, even owned a marina and rarely ever do I see someone winch the entire boat. I have heard about it but usually it is a Northern thing. I cant say how many thousands of times I have launched and trailered a boat but I always power it on. If done correctly it can be done with very little power. Sure beats standing between the boat and truck cranking a handle.

I've never seen anyone winch the entire boat either. If they were to it wouldn't bother me. Too many impatient people in this world trying to move to fast. I see it on the road everyday.

I certainly don't winch the whole boat up. I pull the boat with the bow line to about a foot of the bow stop and then winch the final foot. Basically float it on. And it takes a very, very short amount of time. I am always among the fastest at the launch.

32 seconds to load my boat.

That's how long it took me from the time I pushed off until the time I connected the safety chain. I don't think you can hand load a boat faster than that.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=354461#p354461 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 02 Jun 2014, 08:59[/url]"]32 seconds to load my boat.

That's how long it took me from the time I pushed off until the time I connected the safety chain. I don't think you can hand load a boat faster than that.

That's pretty quick! I will time the process next time, I can't imagine it will be any quicker but it might not be much longer!

I power load my boat (mostly coast). My trailer is built for it, and it would be a pain to hand load. The boat is very picky about where it sits on the bunks so the ribs line up right. By the time I got the trailer deep enough to hand load, keeping the boat centered until I got up the ramp would be a crapshoot. I do have it down to where I don't need much throttle to get it done.

I see people having to throttle up big time to push their boat into position when they could back the trailer in a bit more and not have to fight it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356984#p356984 said:
PsychoXP18CC » Yesterday, 22:59[/url]"]

I see people having to throttle up big time to push their boat into position when they could back the trailer in a bit more and not have to fight it.

I do too all the time, especially with bay boats... in fact they rev so high it starts pushing their 4x4 on the ramp. I just don't get it.

Latest posts