Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
russ010 said:
hey man with your decks all the way up to the gunwales, you might wanna think about getting some rod savers... you don't know how many expensive rods I've lost sitting up there like that.

These are what I use - https://www.rodsaver.com/04_rodsaver/prs.html

Got a set waiting to be installed actually... got the stretch velcro style. I might put another set of the port side too, if the rods will clear the trolling motor.

I actually put my most used 7 rods on the deck and almost installed the rodsavers last night, but I'm going to play around with the layout a bit before I start drilling holes.

You've definitely got the right idea though.. I'm going to have to keep those things locked down at all time because its going to be really easy to kick if over board... I need a bigger boat already :lol:

Thanks for the compliments guys

Nice work! It's the little things like the switch panel and LEDs that really set it apart. People will chase you down to ask about it!

That's a sharp looking boat!

You've put some hard work / time into it, and it shows.

Got the hatches put in.. I decided not to hinge the one next to the livewell because its really never going to be opened.

One of the front hatches turned out good (but tight) and the other has gaps in two corners. It'll have to do for this weekend, cause I'm ready to fish. Gotta be honest, I'm ready for this project to be done with so I can spend my time on the water, not in the garage...

I'm also starting to rethink the console hinge idea... seems good on paper, but once I realized I'd need to use something to keep it shut, the idea lost its sparkle. I'd rather have a clean looking console than one that can hole a small amount of crap. I'll find somewhere else to keep it...

thats a really good tip about the toggle bolts! thanks a ton, i will probably be using them for mounting my seats. would you suggest them for securing my plywood to the top of my bench seats for my deck or something else? thanks again

Thanks froggy, I'm weighing the options and playing in paint right now. I'm sort of tempted to leave it how it is, and rebuild it later in the summer.

Took her out for the first time with the new mods, and everything went great.. well other than my lucky hat blowing off (I forgot how fast this boat is :shock:), the frozen hand from retrieving a snagged lure from a branch, and the treble hook in the hand from said lure. On the bright side, the hat floats, and my hand was numb enough to barely feel it.

It was a balmy 35 today, cold enough to see your breath, and have ice form on my line guides :( Going back out tomorrow morning, after the temps dip to 29 tonight... should be interesting.

Motor fired right up, and actually ran better than last year.. go figure. Had no issues starting it up, and it was turn key the rest of the day!

I have a video, but thats the one thing I don't know how to post. I'm assuming I'll have to upload it to youtube.

In the meantime, here are some pictures. Sorry I'm not holding a fish in any of them.. had no luck. Got one short hit on a lipless, missed her, but she followed it almost to the surface of the water, at a pretty fast pace. She wanted it, but wasn't willing to commit. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I'm going to try dragging a jig for a while, and once I get bored with that I'm going to do some cranking. Have to find the holes by memory, cause the fishfinder isn't installed yet..

Attachments

• IMAG0026.JPG
    IMAG0026.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 764
  • IMAG0027.JPG
    IMAG0027.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 764
  • IMAG0024.JPG
    IMAG0024.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 764
  • IMAG0025.JPG
    IMAG0025.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 764
  • IMAG0028.JPG
    IMAG0028.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 764
  • IMAG0023.JPG
    IMAG0023.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 764
phxbuckeye said:
thats a really good tip about the toggle bolts! thanks a ton, i will probably be using them for mounting my seats. would you suggest them for securing my plywood to the top of my bench seats for my deck or something else? thanks again

I'd be careful, because the nut portion needs something to grip, and the sheet metal doesn't do it at all. I only got 1/3 toggle bolts to tighten all the way down in the very front where there is sheet metal underneath. I got them tight, but not cranked down. But for securing stuff to plywood, they work well because the nut portion digs into the wood.

Alright I finally got a video of the hole shot. Sorry about the crappy resolution.. it was taken with a digital camera. And sorry about the strap and lens cover waving around in majority of the shots... didn't realize it until I got home. And no it doesn't take that long to get on plane, I was just steering towards the right a bit. Tough to drive, record, and turn in the seat at the same time :lol:

Enjoy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohiBCuINEf0

Nice... Looks like that scoots you around at a good clip. =D>

SnowmanJon said:
man nice work with the boat. Like the vid....appears that the tabs do you right.

JON

I actually haven't got them yet. I'm getting a bit of bow rise, but its not too bad. I'm going to wait until after I install the back decks before I decide if I really need them. It doesn't take much time to get on plane, and I sort of like the feeling of the back end dropping down before you launch out of the hole 8)

Latest posts