ESKA 9.9 HELP!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say it "seems" like it is not getting spark. Did you check it? Take the spark plug out and ground it to the engine block and pull on the cord and make sure you do or don't have spark. Once that is done you will have a starting place. If no spark then that is where you need to start. I can't say I have worked on that engine so I don't know how it gets it's spark. Can you take a picture?
If you do have spark, then I would venture a guess and say the carb has some trash in it.

If you don't have spark,you'll need to pull the flywheel and replace the points and condensor.The gap setting should stamped on the plate that covers the points and condensor.You will need a flywheel puller and lots of penatrating oil to remove the flywheel.

I believe that mod. has electronic ign. If it does there is a tag hanging on the right side of the motor, (as you are looking at it from the front) that says somthing about elec. ignition. If so there are no points, just clean the magnets on the flywheel and the ends of the coil and try it again. The just quiting problem sounds like the fuel element went out. Thats a $10.00 fix. Its easy to find too, it is mounted in the backside of the carb and looks like a orange rubber grommet with a slit in it, pull it out and check it for a hole or split.

According to your pics that were submitted, it looks as though it is a solid state ignition motor. I happen to have a repair manual for year and model. Check out https://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/index.html you can either call or email. The man is a tremendous help when it comes to these motors. I can say from personal experience that if the stator is trashed it will run $225/$250 for a new one if he can find one. Also under the flywheel is a plastic collar with a magnet in it that can dissenegrate over time. If this is the case you are SOL, the part is no longer available and best bet is to find a donor motor. I have been having good luck on Ebay for finding parts (I have a 15hp Gamefisher with the Tecumseh motor), there are a couple of sellers that have parts available but can get fairly pricey. A little FYI on the donor motor thing, 7.5, 9, 10 , and 15 horse motors will all have the same plastic collar with the magnet as long as it is a Tecumseh motor. The Stators however will be different. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.