Ever had a scare in the woods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
switchback said:
The only time I have ever been really freaked out in the woods was when I was walking back to the truck. I was over a mile back and walking down an old train trussell they made into a gravel road for the corp guys to use. Trees and thick brush lined the road and leaves all over the ground. As I was walking I started hearing foot steps. Everytime I would stop it would stop. Start and it would start. After a few times I started walking a lot faster till I got out by the lake. I have a buddy that saw a mountain lion/cougar out there before. I know it was a cat. Probably a bobcat but it don't matter when you fell like your being stalked :lol:

Thats how it was when i was fishing.... ( see previouse post)

Now last night, I went fishing, was out past dark, using my fog lamps and could see many eyes on the bank, kinda freaky as I have never been out on the lake past dark. Before we headed down the foggy lake, I heard something that sounded like a whistler bottle rocket going off, and I asked Daniel what was that, he said Dont know bub.. we heard it again and at the end it warbled some and it sounded like it was 10 feet off the bank in a tree above us, I said lets get the flock out of here before he gets our neck. I didnt like being on the water, with cloud cover, fog, not knowing the lake very well and using 2 - 15watt 12volt automotive foglamps and no flashlight

You guys need to spend some more time outdoors. :mrgreen:

There's really nothing out there to be spooked of unless you live in mountain lion, grizzly, gator or meth cooker territory. East of the Mississippi (and a pretty fair piece west of it), there's really nothing out there that's looking to do you any harm.

Quackrstackr said:

There's really nothing out there to be spooked of unless you live in mountain lion, grizzly, gator or meth cooker territory. East of the Mississippi (and a pretty fair piece west of it), there's really nothing out there that's looking to do you any harm.

There are people out there! :shock:

:LOL2:

Back when I was 10 or 11, my dad took me deer hunting and dropped me off next to a big cedar tree to watch over a field. This was well before daylight. As it started to get light, I started making out light colored shapes all around me that were completely foreign to what should have been in a typical woods/field setting.

As it finally got light enough to make out what they were, my dad had purposely planted me right in the middle of an old graveyard. He was laughing hysterically when he came back by to pick me up a few hours later. He had hung out just on the other side of a hill until it got light and said that when I didn't wig out after it got light enough to see, he went on back to where he was going to hunt.

My dad got the fear out of me at an early age. :lol:

Twice...once was my own fault...
1.)Way back in the day, I was bow hunting deer in northern Wisconsin when I turned around and about 30 ft away was a black bear sow with 2 young cubs. We looked at each other for a few seconds. I slowly turned to walk away looking over my shoulder and she did the same with her cubs following her. After that, I carried a side arm while bow hunting.
2.) When I was young and stuipd while up north gun hunting deer, (same area as above), it was getting pretty dark and I was splitting firewood with a sharp had held hatchet. I was not paying close attention and the blade bounced off the peice of wood and richoched (sp?) off my ankle. In shear panic I thought I was cut to the bone, but after looking close with a flashlight, not a scratch...just real sore....I beleive a guardian angel must have been on my shoulder that night as I was in the woods and far from any medical attention....

Quackrstackr said:

Yeah, I do.. I dont hunt, never have. I dont have the stomach to gut a deer. But My wife and I own almost 500 acres with a mobile home with wrap around deck, heatpump, city water ( finally out there ) and a huge garage with a tractor for cutting 4wheeler roads, 2 4wheelers and a Kawasaki Mule. This property is about an hour from my house. It was her dads land that he used to hunt and to get away when he wasnt fishing.

the only thing i do that is outdoorsy is going fishing so I am not familiar with the sounds of the forrest at night..

there was another time i was backpacking in Big Bend NP, Texas, this time with my older sister. we had one tent, and after dark i'm trying to go to sleep, but she's scared of every little noise and wants me to stay awake until she can go to sleep.

finally, around 1 in the morning i am fed up and ready for some sleep. we can hear something just outside our tent, i tell her to go to sleep it's just a racoon.

she STILL wouldn't go to sleep. so i said, "look, it's either a racoon and there's nothing to be scared of, or it's some crazy murderer sneaking up to kill us, and wouldn't you rather be asleep when he does? So either way you should go to sleep"

this bit of logic did not have the effect i had hoped for.

she did not sleep at all, and i got maybe 2 hours. the next day was a long hike back to the car.
now i go alone, or with my girlfriend.

cyberflexx said:
Yeah, I do.. I dont hunt, never have. I dont have the stomach to gut a deer. But My wife and I own almost 500 acres with a mobile home with wrap around deck, heatpump, city water ( finally out there ) and a huge garage with a tractor for cutting 4wheeler roads, 2 4wheelers and a Kawasaki Mule. This property is about an hour from my house. It was her dads land that he used to hunt and to get away when he wasnt fishing.

the only thing i do that is outdoorsy is going fishing so I am not familiar with the sounds of the forrest at night..

500 acres and you don't hunt? :cry:

You don't want to adopt an adult son, do you? :LOL2:

What I wouldn't give for 500 acres of land.

Quackrstackr said:
cyberflexx said:

LOL!!!!!

To hunt for free, here are the rules of the farm property

1. Be a trusting friend of the family
2. Must work at the farm for upkeep ( ie: cut trees out of road, keep mowed, watch over the property)and make a presence there at least once every 2 weeks for activity so punks wont break in.
3. Do not fight or let anyone else on property without our permission
4. No Alcohol or Drug or big partys
5. You make a mess, you clean it up
6. Leave the land free of trash
7. If you stay in the mobile home, clean the dishes, run vaccum, and keep bathroom clean before you leave
8. Take the trash out with you and make sure the doors are locked on the home and garage and the keys for the 4wheelers and tractor are hidden in our secret hiding spot on the property.
9. RESPECT our property
10. Bring us deer burger and steaks as a Thank You :)

Thirty years ago, I went hunting one afternoon and climbed a pine tree on the edge of a field. As the sun went down, I kept hearing a moaning sound that seemed to be coming from behind me. I kept looking behind me and could not tell what or where it was. After a while, I changed positions and started staring up at the stars. A couple of minutes later I started to see the outline of a cat above me, a bobcat. He was wanting down and I was in his way. To this day I have no idea how I did not see him in that tree when I went up there. The tree was not all that large. I was kind of nervous coming down out of that tree. The bobcats that I have seen in the swamp seemed to be scruffy looking compared to the ones you see mounted and in zoo's.

cyberflexx said:
Quackrstackr said:
cyberflexx said:

LOL!!!!!

2. Must work at the farm for upkeep ( ie: cut trees out of road, keep mowed, watch over the property)and make a presence there at least once every 2 weeks for activity so punks wont break in.
7. If you stay in the mobile home, clean the dishes, run vaccum, and keep bathroom clean before you leave
8. Take the trash out with you and make sure the doors are locked on the home and garage and the keys for the 4wheelers and tractor are hidden in our secret hiding spot on the property.
9. RESPECT our property
If this was within 200 miles of here, I would do my best to become a trusted friend :lol: That would be a great opportunity for a respectful hunter.

Got kinda spooked today... in the broad day light. I hunt a piece of county property that is for bowhunters only. Tons of coyotes out there, but theyre the least of my concerns....

Got a summer job working a farm two doors down on the weekends. I got talking with the receptionist that normally works during the week, and she and her family are pretty into bowhunting. I told her where I hunt, and she says "oh you didnt hear about the bear??"

Long story short, two police officers spotted a black bear in the 250 acre area I hunt. They called the county park that owns it and their response was "Oh, well thats not really news to us, its been in there for about 3 years now"

Didn't believe it at first, so I had my dad (a police officer for the neighboring county) call and probe for information. Turns out there a confirmed black bear that wandered down from somewhere in northern MI, a real rarity. Turns out the park chose not to do anything about it because there have been limited sightings, and she never seems to bother anyone (suprising, considering there is a large campsite across the dirt road)

Anyways, to the scary part. Went to check on my stand today, before the opener oct. first. On a secluded part of the trail, I found some droppings that coudn't have been left by anything other than a bear. Problem is, that secluded part of the trail is 150 yards from my stand. :shock:

CCW class starts saturday!

cyberflexx said:
LOL!!!!!

9. RESPECT our property

I would say that your friends have no idea how lucky they are. :wink:

This wasnt in the woods. This happened right infront of my house. It was about 9:30pm at night in the fall of last year. I was taking my garbage cans to the curb of the neighborhood street. I had stopped to talk to my neighbor who was walking his dog. We kept hearing a barking sound, he said it was a squirrel. I barked back, and it would bark, We located the sound as being in the trees behind the house across the street. It barked somemore then I did a mean aggressive sounding bark/growl and this thing came running between the houses screetching really really loud, and we could hear the leaves rustling so I knew it was moving quickly, I ducked behind my trashcans and my neighbor ran to his porch and the dog didnt know what to think. We never did see that thing because it never left the darkness between the houses. Cheebacabra is what we called it. Could that have been a ticked off squirrel or a possum coming to get me or being territorial?

Most likely a raccoon.

You should hear those things fight. They are some mean little rascals and are very aggressive. Coon hunters can "squall" them out of a tree by mimicing the sounds that they make when fighting. They will march right down the tree looking to tear into the ones making the sound.

I've been startled quite a few times in the woods. Birds of many sorts, OWLS can have some of the most freaky sounds you can hear in the woods. Grouse, they'll wait til you almost step on them, and so will a nesting Turkey while you're hunting mushrooms. Deer while on the way to and from stand. Coyote, had one stalking me while I was squirrel hunting. I heard leaves moving behind me, look over my shoulder and about 10 yards was the Coyote in "sneak mode", needless to say he died of lead poisoning. I never thaught I could spin and shoot so fast. Bobcat while fishing the lake bank, boat positoned about 20 foot off bank and the Bobcat squalling close by, so I started making little bit longer casts.. :wink:

GREAT stuff guys!!!

Do a quick search on Owl sounds, some of the sounds a few of you have described could have been an Owl. "bottle rocket", "warbling" and "screeching"

We have several Barred Owls living in our backyard and I tell you, they can get together and make sounds like a herd of laughing hyena. First time I heard them I was sleeping on our back screened in porch and woke up in the middle of the night to that sound. I was like "what the h%ll is that?"

Latest posts