everything steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a gallon yesterday 5/4/11. The phone rang once and I made my order, $65.00.

Fish N Phil said:
do i have to use steel flex? or can i just use rust o lume primer? and then rust o lume paint

You don't have to use anything. It's all preference usually dictated by objective and budget.

steelflex is not just paint like Rustoleum.... (assuming that is what you are spelling)

Welcome to the site!

Thanks Brine for the welcome.
And yes that is what i was trying to spell sorry for that.
But here on this site i thought as long as i was close to spelling as i can that would do.
I'm not well educated but I do love to fish as all you do here.
And again thanks for your responce.

Fish N Phil said:
Thanks Brine for the welcome.
And yes that is what i was trying to spell sorry for that.
But here on this site i thought as long as i was close to spelling as i can that would do.
I'm not well educated but I do love to fish as all you do here.
And again thanks for your responce.

FnP,

We welcome everyone here as long as they live by the rules, and good spelling isn't one of them! So we're good :D

Hope you didn't think I was picking at ya. Just wanted to make sure I understood your question.

Glad you found us!

Hey all! please post pics of your olive drab STEELFLEX boats. I want to order mine soon but im not sure if i will like fascos od color. Thanks

Express said:
Hey all! please post pics of your olive drab STEELFLEX boats. I want to order mine soon but im not sure if i will like fascos od color. Thanks

What many call Olive Drab today is a pastel green. What Steelflex calls Olive Drab is what the Army called it years ago, what most today call Army Green.

In the first pic, it looks a little darker that actual, because of the sun's angle. Even though you can't see the outside hull well in the second pic, I included it because what you can see at the rear is more the actual color in sunlight. Had I seen pics before I mixed the pigment, I probably would still have ordered O.D., but just put in about half of the pigment to lighten it up. What you can see on the inside of the hull is Rustoleum.

p3170030.jpg

p3170032.jpg

henry, thanks for the pics and info! i was afraid it would be that shade. your boat looks great but my personal preference is the more "modern day" od like the color that on most new flat bottoms. jerry at fasco did say that i could change the color by adding less pigment but its hard to say what shade i will end up with. this stuff is so permanent and does not hold paint very well so i want to make sure i will like the color before i apply it.

any members ever used half of the od pigment???? if so please post pics. thanks

Express,
I know you probably want to see the color before you BUY it, but if you just want to check before you APPLY it, you can do that. You mix in the color with one part BEFORE you mix in the clear hardener, so you don't have to be in a hurry while adding tint. You could just add a little tint at a time and decide when you have it green enough, and then just wait to add in the hardener until just before you paint. This method would keep it from being too dark, but it wouldn't allow you to actually change the color if a dab of another color was needed to get what you wanted.
This made sense to me when I typed it, I hope it still makes sense when you read it! If not, ask for more detail...

I looked at the website but there isn't much on there. I don't want to sound like a total idiot when I call to order so...

What should I order?
How do I see samples of the pigments?

thanks henry!

haolehawaiian, i hear ya man. as popular as their products are you would think they would improve their website with pics and more detailed info. you will get all kinds of info on this site but you best bet is to call fasco and talk to Jerry. he will sett you up with everything you need. keep in mind that they do not accept credit/debit cards and you will have to mail a cashiers check before they will send product.

i will be steelflexing the entire exterior of my boat so i need to make sure i like the color.

guys, post up pics of steelflex please..............

Express said:
thanks henry!

haolehawaiian, i hear ya man. as popular as their products are you would think they would improve their website with pics and more detailed info. you will get all kinds of info on this site but you best bet is to call fasco and talk to Jerry. he will sett you up with everything you need. keep in mind that they do not accept credit/debit cards and you will have to mail a cashiers check before they will send product.

i will be steelflexing the entire exterior of my boat so i need to make sure i like the color.

From what everyone says, the customer service is great and they are very helpful...but someone needs to get them to join the 21st century and AT LEAST accept CCs...geez! I need to see colors as well...trying to match stuff on my boat.

haolehawaiian said:
Express said:
thanks henry!

From what everyone says, the customer service is great and they are very helpful...but someone needs to get them to join the 21st century and AT LEAST accept CCs...geez! I need to see colors as well...trying to match stuff on my boat.

i hear you man. i spoke with jerry again today and mentioned the website and pictures as well as offering more colors. and basically he is just a small shop and does not have a web or pc person due to cost and he doesnt offer many colors for the same reason. he said the color pigments are very expensive and he has to buy big pals of each color. i can respect that and gotta give it up to the small business owners these days. its tuff out there. he did say that we can use any other color pigments designed for polyester or resin based epoxies (4oz per gallon) so i am going to check out my local auto body paint supplier and see what they have to offer.

Express said:
haolehawaiian said:
Express said:
thanks henry!

i hear you man. i spoke with jerry again today and mentioned the website and pictures as well as offering more colors. and basically he is just a small shop and does not have a web or pc person due to cost and he doesnt offer many colors for the same reason. he said the color pigments are very expensive and he has to buy big pals of each color. i can respect that and gotta give it up to the small business owners these days. its tuff out there. he did say that we can use any other color pigments designed for polyester or resin based epoxies (4oz per gallon) so i am going to check out my local auto body paint supplier and see what they have to offer.

I'm not knocking the small biz issue. Yeah it is super hard to do these days. Just a thought...if anyone on here is web-design savvy, perhaps they could help him build something really basic and get him a paypal account or something...in exchange for some product. again, just a thought. I would do it, but I'm not sure I could deliver something acceptable enough. Anyway, is there a way to see colors? I don't even care that there aren't that many to choose from, I would just prefer to see what I am getting!

Jim "site admin", would it be possible for you to set up a new thread to help us all with this? A thread for pics of Steelflexed boats only IMO would be a great addition to the site. It would be a nice way to thank Fasco Unlimited for their service as well.

Jerry at Fasco was helpful in my project, but the reality is.....

He has to be because the website doesn't get the job done. Hence why there are so many questions about the product. TinBoats has been as good, or better, in service to Fasco than the other way around. I'm assured that we are the best unpaid organized advertising the company has. Google will confirm it.

If any members want to provide a service to Jerry, it would be to encourage him to be a site sponsor. Jerry has already been made aware of the details. Again, I am a satisfied customer myself and think it's a great product.

i am still trying to find a pigment that looks more like the new jon boats. the paint supply store rep suggested i contact PPG which i did and i also sent them the msds sheet for the steelflex 9x. so we'll see what they have to offer.

if any members have tinted the steelflex with something other than fasco pigments please let me know.

Fasco told me that any polyester resign pigment will work with Steelflex. What they do is basically mix various pigments to get the desired color. For them, I don't think the tinting process is an exact science and you will pretty much have to make do with what they "think" it is that you want unless you have a way of sending them a color sample and even then they can probably only come close. Take a look at https://www.uscomposites.com/pigments.html to see a sample of the base colors. You can get pretty much anything you want by mixing various pigments but unless you have a automated process like what they have in the paint department of Lowe's or Home Depot I doubt it will be consistent from batch to batch. It's going to get a little iffy if they have to start adding more than one pigment to get a custom color. When I send them my check, I'm going to include a color sample courtesy of Lowe's and hopefully they will be able to come close to matching it.

thats funny because i just discovered us composites today. i called them and they do not mix custom colors.

so am i hearing you correctly? you are sending a color sample to Fasco? i didn't think they mixed custom colors either. or at least they didn't mention it to me during the three conversations i have had with them on the whole "lack of color options" thing.

double check with them and if they will do this then my problems are solved! i can come up with a sample in no time.

i just can't believe that i am the only one who wants his jon boat to look like the "new" lowe or tracker jons. it just seems that fasco would want to offer this as a stock color.

like this
lowe.jpg

or this
tracker.jpg

What I'm trying to say, albeit poorly, is that they probably can't do exactly what you want. They add a couple of spoonfuls of this and a couple of that to get what they consider to be basic colors, olive drab being one of them but I don't think they can get an exact match. What they may think is dark blue may be something entirely different than what I am imagining so I just thought that sending them a sample might help clarify the color that I want and they can try to come close. At least get in the neighborhood. The new Lowe and Tracker boats are more what I would consider to be a various shades of sage green than anything else and unless Fasco has a tinter to accurately meter the pigments to match the color exactly (which they don't) you're probably going to be stuck with what they consider to be basic colors unless you want to try and tint it yourself.