Evinrude 15 / can you tell me anything about this motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359853#p359853 said:
deezdrama » 35 minutes ago[/url]"]thanks for all the links,help, and support guys! glad I found this forum! Its alot better than the other forum ive posted questions on (glad i decided on aluminum LOL)

I was at wally world and picked up some 80-90 weight gear oil for $5 .... I almost bought some quicksilver synthetic for $12 but it said for 70hp+ outboards... dont know if it really matters but in my cars i like to run a good expensive synthetic, maybe next time ill know what to buy.

Anyway... i figure ill change my lower unit oil a few times per year so I guess its better to have new crappy oil than not change it at all.

Also bought a tube of "marine and trailer grease" I was going to lube the prop shaft... will this stuff work?

Short from that I need to read up on changing impellers (it has a good steady "pee" like stream" maybee ill hold off on that untill fall and its time to garage her.
Other than that I might change the sparkplugs once I figure out what to get and what gap to set them at.

I got a big 6 gallon gas tank that barely fits in the gastank/battery area.... you think i could get by with a smaller tank? i almost bought a 3 gal tank but for $40 ...I want to make sure it will last a day on the lake.

Got my trailer liscensed and filling out /sending in boat reg in the morning.

Tonight I will rewire my trailer and hopefully have lower oil changed and be ready for the water tomorrow...cant wait.
Ive been on the lake in a 15' canoe with 30# trolling motor.... this otta feel like jumping from a pinto to a lambo lol.

Thanks again guys for all the help!

If it is peeing a good steady stream, it is working ok, I would wait til fall too. You only need to change the gear oil once a year unless it is leaking, in which case, get the leak fixed. A 6 gal tank is appropriate for that motor, should last you a couple days easy of moderate fishing. I personally use the johnson 50/1 mix oil on my 1984 johnson 48hp spl. It runs good on it. 2 cycle oil is not cheap, the synthetic is quite expensive and not needed IMO. A good lube for the prop shaft is a tiny bit of never seize once a year. Use never seize on the spark plug threads too, steel threads on aluminum threads can be problematic, treat them with care.
Tim
Tim

Glad i checked the lower unit oil...
Dark/ foul smelling and only about 6 oz came out n ive read this unit will hold 16 oz.

Makes me wanna hurry on a waterpump rebuild kit!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405654161114.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405654161114.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 343
Speaking of serial numbers, my 15hp Evinrude has the ser# stamped on an expansion plug on top of the power head. It is identical to the frame mounted serial number plate.

Good call on checking the lower unit, you probably saved yourself some change down the road.

I have spent hours if not days going back to Leeroy's ramblings. There was a service bulletin to change all 100:1 stickers to 50:1. So I would run 50:1. It will smoke less.

Here's another vote for 50:1, it'll smoke more b/c there's more oil in the ratio, but you've got to remember the old saying: "A smoking 2 stroke is a happy 2 stroke".

That 15 is a great little motor, congrats on your purchase.

I'd highly recommend, almost plead with you, to change out the impeller, or better yet the entire water pump. Once you've had an impeller breakup, and the pieces work their way into/through the water jacket you'll quit trying to see how long you can go between changes.

Unless you have 100% confidence that it was changed w/in the last 18 mo I'd personally swap it out.

Good luck with it, she'll last forever if taken care of.