Extending tongue on trailer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bhumbertson said:
I just ordered a four foot extension for my trailer. https://accessories.etrailer.com/trailer/Trailer%20Tongue%20Extension

I let you know how it goes when it arrives.

You ever get the piece?

sawmill said:
parkerdog said:
Here's what I did so I didn't have to take it to a welder. I found this easier than grinding off a welded on coupler that needed replaced.

View attachment 1

Where did you get the hinge from if I may ask?

I can't remember if it was amazon or e-trailer. Some online place, it's a fulton swing away. Shop around because they vary in price quite a bit. Some are weld on this one is a bolt on.

I bought my piece of steel local to me so no shipping.

i'm thinking about $40 worth of steel from onlinemetals.com to do this same thing

my tongue is 2"x3" so i am gonna get 2' 1.5"x2.5" piece of steel rectangle tube & bolt it inside the existing tongue, then slip a 2' 2"x3" piece of steel rectangle tube over that to extend mine 2'

$50 shipped for the metal & then how ever much a can of cold galvanizing spray paint & some galvanized hardware costs, cross fingers i don't have to extend wiring lol

this is instead of the $80 bolt on swing tongue hinge from etrailer.com + the same 2' 2x3 piece of steel since i only want to lengthen tongue & i care nothing about folding the tongue for storage

Hey bhumbertson, did you ever get that trailer tongue extension you ordered?

The fulton bolt on hinge kit is all over the net and the prices vary greatly. Just don't do what I did and cut your tongue off until you have the part in your hand. The 3x3 is currently back ordered. That is why I am fishing from the bank right now. :(

i ordered & installed the fulton hinge

got my 2x3 bolt on from ebay for $77 shipped, and a trailer shop gave me a 32" extension they had laying round for $20

click link in signature if you wanna see it installed

Leelatt said:
Hey bhumbertson, did you ever get that trailer tongue extension you ordered?

Yes. It took a little work to get it to slide inside the trailer tongue... but it's solid and works great. Gave me the additional 4' I needed.

Latest posts