Tongue Extension Install

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My previous thread discussed my trailer and its sizing to my boat. I wanted the tongue to be longer. I debated between 3' and 4'. Decided on 3'.

Purchased a Fulton Fold-Away Tongue bolt on kit (part # HDPB330301)

Removed coupler and trimmed trailer tongue by 2" (it was slightly squashed by coupler which was over-tightened.

Purchased a 3"x3"x1/8" section of square steel tubing. Purchased 4' as I was undecided on length when I purchased. After looking at what 4' looked like, I decided to go 3'. I cut it down to 3' with my abrasive chop saw.

Fulton kit requires 8 holes (4 on top, 4 on bottom) of each section of 3"x3" where coupler connects.....trailer section and new tongue extension. 16 1/2" holes in total!!!

Drilled holes, painted exposed raw metal in trailer portion (holes) and prepared for install.

Drilled new safety chain holes (1/2") rear of new fold-away coupler. Same paint on these holes.

Had a local guy powder coat my new 3' extension. It is flat black wrinkle finish to match the wrinkle finish of the Karavan trailer.

Installed new coupler and fold away coupler on my freshly powder coated extension.

All assembled and torqued.

Needed longer safety chains (approx. 5') due to extension. Decided to go with 6' coil cables so they would not drag while trailering.

All that is left is to extend trailer wiring. I'll run tag end through new 3"x3" section and exit under coupler.

Then.... Test to see how she tows and launches!

Attachments

• IMG_3451.jpg
    IMG_3451.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3450.jpg
    IMG_3450.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 188
I'm planning to do the same project in the next couple of weeks to keep the back wheels of my truck out of the salt water. My trailer has the fold away kit already installed. I hadn't considered just replacing the section of tube between that kit and the coupler. Don't know why I overlooked that simple solution. Glad you posted this.

Hint for those of you that may have wasp problems in your geographical area.

I've had paper wasps build in the "nose" of the tongue, just aft of the coupler. I've started mildly modifying the tongues on my trailers by welding in/on a plate over the open ends of tubing. The trailer I built to tow behind my T-bucket got that treatment on every piece of tubing. Angle-cut the ends and welded on a (relatively) thin plate so critters couldn't get in.

Just a small idea.....Roger

That's the exact same hinge setup I bought and installed. One thing you haven't done that you should take a look at is check your tongue weight. You may have to adjust your axle position, at least I did. Also, like mentioned, those darn wasps like to take up residence in the most inconvenient places. I've even seen birds move in too. I stuffed my tube sections with bags I get from Walmart, cheap, free and they work, besides they don't show when the tongue isn't folded.

Looks very clean, nice! Question on the safety chains--those are attached much farther back than any I've seen, makes some sense from a security point of view to attach them behind the joint, are you afraid they'll sag too much, catch, etc, and if so do you plan to tie them up to the tongue farther forward or something like that?

Macintosh said:
Looks very clean, nice! Question on the safety chains--those are attached much farther back than any I've seen, makes some sense from a security point of view to attach them behind the joint, are you afraid they'll sag too much, catch, etc, and if so do you plan to tie them up to the tongue farther forward or something like that?

In the last pic, you can see I used coiled cables for the reason you mentioned (sagging). They are 6' in length and are used as safety cables for vehicles that are towed behind motor homes. They work great!