Fall '23 2nd Outing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
After a bad start on Friday Water in Gas , we made a good recovery. The bite was much slower than 2 weeks ago. Water temps had dropped 6 degrees, and the high air temp for the day almost broke 60. Caught 49 smallies. Largest 18". Most caught on swimmers. A few on top-water and tubes. Nothing on spinnerbaits, which was hot 2 weeks ago.

After starting the day with "gas problems" it was only fitting that we found a 6 gal portable tank. ;)

Fished Saturday AM until 11AM. First three hours were little to light rain. Became steady for the last hour, and the bite seemed to turn off. Caught 16 smallies, mostly on top-water, with a couple on tubes and swimmers.

Attachments

• IMG_8831.jpg
    IMG_8831.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8835.jpg
    IMG_8835.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9402.jpg
    IMG_9402.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8839.jpg
    IMG_8839.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8838.jpg
    IMG_8838.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
Many have bad gas issues today from poor maintenence on the inground tanks. A fellow I know is in the fuel tank business and is an inspector, he claims many brand name fuel stations have poor maintenence records creating issues that people blame on " ethenol" gas. I am lucky to have a small independent farmer run fuel station that is fairly new and properly maintained where I get my fuel. Had water in fuel on a number of ocassions from nearby popular brand stations, but switched to the independent station years ago and not one issue, even cut back on my storage additives and still no issues. Watch carefully where you buy fuel and never buy gas when the tanker is filling or recently filled the inground tanks !!

Many have bad gas issues today from poor maintenence on the inground tanks. A fellow I know is in the fuel tank business and is an inspector, he claims many brand name fuel stations have poor maintenence records creating issues that people blame on " ethenol" gas. I am lucky to have a small independent farmer run fuel station that is fairly new and properly maintained where I get my fuel. Had water in fuel on a number of ocassions from nearby popular brand stations, but switched to the independent station years ago and not one issue, even cut back on my storage additives and still no issues. Watch carefully where you buy fuel and never buy gas when the tanker is filling or recently filled the inground tanks !!

I responded in the other thread where it is more relevent: Water in Gas

Good looking fish.

Next outings planned for the end of the month. Air temps will be 10 degrees cooler. Water temps probably, too. The bite just gets slower. In Nov we will target other species, walleye and muskie.

After a bad start on Friday Water in Gas , we made a good recovery. The bite was much slower than 2 weeks ago. Water temps had dropped 6 degrees, and the high air temp for the day almost broke 60. Caught 49 smallies. Largest 18". Most caught on swimmers. A few on top-water and tubes. Nothing on spinnerbaits, which was hot 2 weeks ago.

After starting the day with "gas problems" it was only fitting that we found a 6 gal portable tank. ;)

Fished Saturday AM until 11AM. First three hours were little to light rain. Became steady for the last hour, and the bite seemed to turn off. Caught 16 smallies, mostly on top-water, with a couple on tubes and swimmers.
I was just going to ask you if you had been on the river this month. My truck has"computer issues" so I have not been able to go out. Getting a replacement tomorrow so hopefully will try this weekend.

I was just going to ask you if you had been on the river this month. My truck has"computer issues" so I have not been able to go out. Getting a replacement tomorrow so hopefully will try this weekend.

Good luck and let me know how you do. JFYI: Even with the Saturday rain, there were other diehards out, besides us. ;)

I love a good fall smallie bite! Beutifull fish congrats! On the Potomac the # of fish caught go's down but the quality of the fish you catch is much better than the summer months.

Very true. Most smallies were still spread out, but they we did find a pod or two. They should be in more and bigger pods, next time out. November, they will be on or near their wintering spots.

Last edited: