Fastest/Cheapest/Best Way to Strip Paint From a Tin Boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank R

Reaction score
I am looking at a 14 foot jon boat that has a peeling camo paint job. I want to be able to strip it down to bare metal as easily as possible.

Can I get it media blasted? Any recommendations on media to use? Any idea how much I should expect to pay? What kind of surface finish does it leave? Any photos to reference?

Any other ideas? I really don't want to sand it down myself.

I'd start with power-washing by professionals; then, if you don't want to get into manual labor, see who does soda blasting in your area.

Should clean it right up.

Shop around a bit, but most folks who do this sort of work are fair and have done many similar jobs in the past.

Be safe, have fun.

There is no fast and easy way to strip paint. About the easiest is to pay someone to do it. Fastest would be to pay a couple guys to do it.

Soda blasting is the safest on thin aluminum hulls.

fastest: soda blasting
cheapest: sandpaper
best: soda blasting

everyone (self included) does one the hard way and then swears they never will again. just get it soda blasted.

Paint on outside of mine sanded nicely. Inside had a different type of paint that did not come off easily with sanding or stripper. Got it sand blasted.

Grinder and wire cup! About 4 hours work for outside.

For the do-it-yourselfer.

Aircraft-Paint-Remover-Gallon.jpg

Latest posts