Felt a bump and next thing I know...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hb_hound

Reaction score
it was following me home.

At least that's what I'm telling the wife when her and the kids return from spring break.

1989 Spectrum 1700
The hull is in great shape, the plan is to strip the interior and deck the front and rear. Thinking about setting up a rear seat and using a tiller outboard (25hp or so) to keep cost down.
The price was right - FREE so if things do not go as planed I can always sell it and be ahead of the game.

I can't see trying to run a tiller motor on that boat.
I'd sell it and use the money to get a boat that works for you.

Nice boat.. I pick up my spectrum 1600 in a few weeks.

But why tiller? Also, it's not going to do so well with a 25hp. My 1600 has a 50hp.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

comon you gotta be kidding

I was with you until you mentioned a tiller

how are you going to see where you are going?

You will never have control of that boat, especially when docking

do it right or dont do it at all

You paid too much! [-X
Just kidding, wrong kind of transom for a tiller though.
Is it aluminum? Trailer looks decent too.
Good deal.
Tim

Yeah, the tiller may or may not be a great idea, but I have access to a 25hp for under $100 and figured I might give it a try.
This would be a v-hull deck and nothing else for large pond / small lake fishing. If that doesn't work plans may change or clean it up and sell it for something else. I'm sure the trailer is worth more than the boat/hull.

jethro said:
You will be disappointed in a glass boat that weighs 1200lbs with an underpowered motor. And in wind or waves you may be even more than disappointed.

800 lb aluminum and closer to 700 when gutted

are you sure that the flotation and transom, stringers etc are not waterlogged?

If the boat has been sitting around without a cover ( or a leaking one,looks like this one has been) it could be loaded with water and rot.

perchjerker said:
are you sure that the flotation and transom, stringers etc are not waterlogged?

If the boat has been sitting around without a cover ( or a leaking one,looks like this one has been) it could be loaded with water and rot.
Not yet, once I pull the flooring and get deeper into the project, this may become the deciding factor to sell or keep going. If I get out early enough, I can still profit

If it doesn't work you can always sell the hull for scrap, come away with a few $$$$ and a trailer.

I am with some of the other comments, sell it and buy something that is going to work. Buy a proper tin that the 25hp will complement. IMHO any money spent on that boat to not do it right, will be wasted.

A tiler steer? 25 HP? I've heard worse ideas, even though I'd be hard pressed to name said worse ideas. Waste of time and effort if you ask me...but, some guys like to piddle on stuff. Hopefully, you don't end up endangering the lives or property of other's.

I am with the rest of these guys. It's a good looking boat for a project. But I would sell it and get a tin. I just bought a tracker after years of owning a ranger. And I already love it and I haven't been on the water. I've owned many tins but this one is going to be my masterpiece. There is so much less stress with a tin. With fiberglass you have to worry about weight, repair, weight on the tires of the trailer. And with a 25hp in mind, speed. You could probably get 500 and that is enough to buy yourself something aluminum. Just my .02.

jparrishbt said:
I am with the rest of these guys. It's a good looking boat for a project. But I would sell it and get a tin. I just bought a tracker after years of owning a ranger. And I already love it and I haven't been on the water. I've owned many tins but this one is going to be my masterpiece. There is so much less stress with a tin. With fiberglass you have to worry about weight, repair, weight on the tires of the trailer. And with a 25hp in mind, speed. You could probably get 500 and that is enough to buy yourself something aluminum. Just my .02.

I'm not familiar with that line of boats but the OP states that it is aluminum.

thatkidhugo said:
perchjerker said:
yeah is alum. made by Tracker

Pretty sure it's made by blue fin/brunswick

Tracker bought them out in the mid 90's I believe.
My bad fellas. The looks of it threw me for a loop. Still the size would turn me away. Maybe it's just where I'm from. Down here in AZ the lakes and rivers are all about 5 feet average depth.

Since you have access to a kid you can get a tiller steer motor and make your kid a Junior Boater. Put ....steering wheel on the console and station the kid at the tiller. Teach the kid the difference tween left and right and when you're out on the water you turn the steering wheel and yell left and right and the kid turns the tiller. It's kind of a primitive version of power steering and who would ever guess what you're up to? Just think of all the money you'll save doing it that way instead of doing it the way most other people do... 8)