Finally got a chance to work on it again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris

Reaction score
I have been posting about trying to restore/modify this 1973 Ouachita 1648. This weekend I got help to get it off the trailer so I can do the bottom of the boat and clean/repair/repaint the trailer. Previous owner had put 2X10 and plywood to support the center bottom of the boat and 2X4s vertical on the outside. This makes sense because he was running six, six volt batteries for the golf cart motor. Since I am running an 20 hp Yamaha outboard on it I removed this but replacing with 4 total 2X4 horizontal bunks under the boat.
My question is.....evidently the previous owner put clear caulk around all the rivets on the bottom. This caulk came off rather easily with a razor blade and there was some corrosion under several. What is the easiest way to remove sealer and paint from these rivets and what is best to reseal them? I remember seeing a green stick that you used with a torch to seal them off. Is that the best? Worst? This will probably be the last boat I own and will be my retirement toy. I only want to do this right.
The boat will probably go to my Brother-in-Law to have some of the cross supports welded and the transom replaced. Transom is because previous owner used pressure treated wood in the stern. Little tiny holes all over my transom as expected.
That's another question! I am figuring on using something other than wood to replace the rotten wood in the transom also. I am thinking about using aluminum square tubing, Trek, PVC wood, etc.. Any positives, negatives, cautions?
Thanks for any input. Kris

I think it would be best for you to write down all that you want to accomplish.
Don't shoot from the hip and go off haphazardly into different directions at first.
One bite at a time. Or else you may get overwhelmed and frustrated
and loose sight of it supposed to be a FUN project.

use pencil and prioritize the tasks at hand - check them off when done.
I say pencil (and not pen) because the list will change again and again as you
work towards your goal.

oh yea, we all love to see photos as your work progresses

HAVE FUN !!

To address a couple of your concerns - - - -
do all welding and hot work first.
then, all your media blasting, wire brushing, etc.
then, get all your chemical paint remover work done.
then, your chemical cleaners and corrosion arrestors.
try to get everything done that could damage the existing coatings you want to keep.
THEN !!! get yourself a cold drink, sit and look at your project,
and work on your list.

Latest posts