Finally! My 14' V Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatingCop

Reaction score
Well I finally got another boat after being off of the water for quite some time. I got this 14 foot v from my brother for free and the trailer also free from my father in law. I scored the '83 evinrude 9.9 for $200 off of Craigslist, so I'm doing pretty good lol. He said the motor had not been run for about 5 years however the carb was very clean. I just replaced the water pump, which was toast, and it running great. I love these OMC 9.9/15 engines. The motor sits a little low so I just ordered a mini jacker. I'm also going to tackle the transom tomorrow, as its in pretty poor shape, and will have more pics.

Here are some pics of the rig. I plan to add a low deck between the 2nd and third bench seats. My daughter told me that I can't fill in her front seat because she loves to ride up there!! I also plan to hang a trolling motor off of the side. I did test it out and even with the motor sitting so low, it ran 21 mph on GPS with a battery, gas, my wife, me, and daughter.

After I do the transom and deck, I plan to wire up a switch panel for lights, a bilge pump, and stereo. Does anyone know what make the boat is? The title says its a 1959 "Vee Bottom", but I've never heard of that brand and I've been around boats a while. Let me know what y'all think!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370141176.785872.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370141208.182250.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370141294.448982.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317055#p317055 said:
BoatingCop » 02 Jun 2013, 15:50[/url]"]Does anyone know where to find 3M 5200? I'm at Lowes but they don't have it. I could have sworn they did.

I know you can order it from their website. My local store didnt have it in stock so thats what I did.

Well I got the old transom out which made me realize, I HATE rivets!! I got new wood but I think don't think I got the right kind. It seems to flex a lot, but I coated with resin anyhow. I think I'm just going to go to the local lumber yard tomorrow and get some oak, then glass them together. Is white oak what I want to go with? I also got all stainless nuts, bolts, and washers to go back with. I'm also going to try and find some 5200 tomorrow. Here's a few pics from today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370222071.619736.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370222090.053234.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370222109.419827.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370222132.269298.jpg

I need a little help with my transom. What wood should I go with? I tried to find a store around here with 1/2 in ply wood, because my transom is 1 inch thick, unlike some other boats. I can't find any 1 inch plywood nor can I find 1/2 inch oak plywood. I would use two pieces of 3/4" ply, however the way everything in my boat is set up, it will only allow for 1 inch total thickness. I'm assuming someone out there makes 1/2 in oak, and McCoys, Lowes, and Home Depot don't have a very good selection. Any thoughts? Thanks

Man, that transom has seen better days!!!

You can laminate 2 pieces of half inch together then seal them with spar urethane. I would also seal any bolt holes through the transom.

Nice little rig for what u have into it, congrats!

Well I've made progress and she's back in the water!! I used two 1/2" pieces of plywood, glued together with waterproof glue. I used a lot of spar urethane on it and bolted it back in. Everything was sealed up with 5200. I got a mini jacker jack plate which put the motor right where it needs to be.

I put in a bilge pump, wired up the nav lights, and hooked up a tiny tach. I cut out a piece of plywood to the size of the rear bench and carpeted it with AstroTurf from lowes. I then put in a seat base and put in a removable seat. I also mounted the tiny tach to the carpeted board. Next I want to put a floor in it for easier standing and walking. Thanks for all the help so far!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372904767.462494.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372904784.478661.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372904800.044034.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372904818.176679.jpg

Latest posts