Force

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny146

Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking a glitter boat for the family (and me to bass fish bigger waters), specifically a fish and ski. I know, I know it's no tin, but I would like the expert opinions only available on Tinboats. The hull is good, 1999 Astro 172 Fish and Ski. My concern is the outboard. It's a 1999 Force 120. 1999 was the last year for the Force and the motor was manufacutred by Mercury Marine. I have heard good and bad about Force outboards, so I'm a little skittish about the motor. I was wondering what you guys think about Force motors. By the way the guy wants $5500.00 for the boat, but I think I'm gonna throw $4000.00 at him and see what he says, that is after we take the boat on the water and she goes to a mechanic for a good once over.

I've only had problems with their junk tilt trim motors. Constantly need rebuilding. The motors themselves are ok. Their motors are rated oddly for the HP. Mine says 125hp, but only puts out maybe 85hp. And yes it has 130psi to 128psi in all cylinders, and is upkept by a the local marine. Just my 2 cents.

A family mamber had twin 85hp late 80's vintage.He had nothing but problems with the electrical system every time out.Wound up pulling them and replaced with a suzuki outboard.

Everyone that I know that once owned a Force outboard had serious problems. Admittedly, they were probably still when they were being manufactured at the old Chrysler plant but I'm not sure how much the engine designs actually changed when they were moved in with Mercury.

I would be afraid of parts availability and finding someone to work on it.

I have 2 guys that fish my tournament trails that are still running force outboards
they both start with a turn of the key and never give them any issue getting back for weigh in...

The chrysler ones were absolute junk. The Mercury ones were better, but were still a very inferior motor. Merc didn't put much r & d money into them, so they remained a very inexpensive, disposable outboard. In Craiglist all the time, I see people with the Mercury Forces, who try to claim they are "identical to a Mercury under the hood," which just isn't the case (plus, I personally wouldn't use Mercury as a comparison for anything I was trying to sell, but that's just me :lol: ).

The other thing to look at, and it is something I read very recently (my being against Force motors goes much further back), and can clearly see the validity of. They, being the cheapest outboards out there, and many being installed on one of the cheapest family size pleasure boat (Bayliner), were often bought by those looking for the cheapest. I'm here to tell you, those people who want the cheapest don't give a rats hind end about maintenance.

I personally would stay away from Force Outboards.

bassboy1 said:
The chrysler ones were absolute junk. The Mercury ones were better, but were still a very inferior motor. Merc didn't put much r & d money into them, so they remained a very inexpensive, disposable outboard. In Craiglist all the time, I see people with the Mercury Forces, who try to claim they are "identical to a Mercury under the hood," which just isn't the case (plus, I personally wouldn't use Mercury as a comparison for anything I was trying to sell, but that's just me :lol: ).

This is the opposite of what the "Force Guys" at iboats will tell you. They will tell you to stay away from any Force motor made by Mercury. Mercury changed some things and made them less reliable in the process. Replacement parts are sky high.

They say the older Force motors are reliable and easy to work on. There is a few things that need maintenance/attention with the older motors but if you do them they will last a long time.

Just go to the Force section at iBoats and type in "reliable" in the search box. Your question has been answered a 1000X over there. Read up and you can decide for yourself. When you do the search make sure you go to "advanced search" and search for "reliable" in the topic title only.

bassboy1 said:
They, being the cheapest outboards out there, and many being installed on one of the cheapest family size pleasure boat (Bayliner), were often bought by those looking for the cheapest.

Being as you and many others (including me ) regard Force motors as junk, are you also trying to say Bayliner's are junk? Given the fact I built boats for Bayliner and currently own one, those are fighting words. Bayliner's aren't "cheap", they just cost less than other boats of the same quality. what do you think of boats like Maxum, Robolo, Blue Fin and Spectrum or better yet Meridian Yachts?

Thanks for the input fellas, I really appreciate it. This was about the response I expected, a mixed bag of likes and dislikes.
I did do some research into the Force motors and have talked to a mechanic I trust here locally. The motor I'm looking at is the last year they were made, 1999. From what I have read when the Brunswick Corp bought the brand, the major changes were in the igniton system. When I talked with the mechanic, he attributed most of the problems or percieved problems with the Force motors to poor or no maintenance. He did say that he would stay away for the mid sized engines as they did seem to have design problems, specifically the 30-50. He did say he liked the model I was looking at but did add it was a little thirsty compared to similar HP motors. He told me to bring it by and he would give a good once over for me.
I looked at the boat yesterday and it's a decent piece, it's got some minor issues but no deal breakers, so far. The seller has agreed to take it out on the water whenever I am ready, so I guess we will see. My plan is to run the boat and then take it to the mech for a once over. I was also told the the tilt/trim was an issue, but when I fooled with the tilt/trim yesterday it sounded just like a Mercury set up.
I'll keep you guys posted, even though it's a glitter boat. Thanks, again guys.

i owned a 50 hp the mechanic says it was more like a 35 hp, had it for 18 years and it had serious problems! if i were you i wouldnt buy it because the motor is gonna cost you a lot of your money and time. look for a quality motor because it will cost you a lot more in the long run with the force

alumacraft716 said:
i owned a 50 hp the mechanic says it was more like a 35 hp, had it for 18 years and it had serious problems! if i were you i wouldnt buy it because the motor is gonna cost you a lot of your money and time. look for a quality motor because it will cost you a lot more in the long run with the force
18 years sound like you got your use out of it... All motors need maintenance What problems did you have?

Macgyver said:
Being as you and many others (including me ) regard Force motors as junk, are you also trying to say Bayliner's are junk? Given the fact I built boats for Bayliner and currently own one, those are fighting words. Bayliner's aren't "cheap", they just cost less than other boats of the same quality. what do you think of boats like Maxum, Robolo, Blue Fin and Spectrum or better yet Meridian Yachts?

You've got one of the newer ones. I'm talking more in terms of a late 80's, or early 90's Bilgewhiner. Figuring mostly when the Force outboards would have been standard equipment. If for whatever reason someone managed to brainwash me into purchasing a new (uh, no - let someone else take the depreciation), fiberglass (never), inboard/outboard powered (true inboard diesel, or outboard only for me, with the exception of jet powered) boat, I'd seriously look at one. An older one - wouldn't give it a second glance before running away.

for the money bayliner boats were a good deal. I fished out of one for several years.
it didnt run as fast or ride as smooth as the rangers or gamblers but it still was able to get me to the fish and cash a few checks along the way

bassboy1 said:
I'm talking more in terms of a late 80's, or early 90's

Given my own personal experience of 3 of these models owned by friends and family, they were bottom of the quality barrel back then and very cheaply built. I haven't looked at a newer one so they may have improved. It's hard to get over first impressions.

Macgyver said:
bassboy1 said:
They, being the cheapest outboards out there, and many being installed on one of the cheapest family size pleasure boat (Bayliner), were often bought by those looking for the cheapest.

So, I'm curious about the Spectrum boats? Any comments?

We bought a 1996 Spectrum Sport 16 used 3 years ago. We were not at all versed in boats, basically knew nothing. It has 40hp Force. We only use it locally and mostly with a 9.9 Johnson kicker we also bought for it or the electric trolling motor. But, the 2-3 times a year we use the 40hp, (Like Dale Hollow last fall :) it seems to run fine. Again, being a total novice in boats/motors/etc., coupled with not putting more than about 10 hours on the motor every year, I'm thinking it is okay for us??? It was a good comfortable boat for the ladies - deep V, high side walls, seats, etc.

Just looking for any insight, comments, etc., on our Spectrum Sport 16 and/or the 40 hp Force motor. As of this time, we haven't done any maintenance other than to pull the plugs and spray stuff in to winterize.... Oh yeah, and to rebuild the prop cause we hit some rocks and really screwed it up :(

The mid 80's Bayliner's were junk, here's the reason why.

first, Bayliner tried trimming weight to gain performance for heavy boats, the trade off was too light of material used in bulkheads and stringers making them flex and crack/come apart. then they put the crap Force OB's on them , but by 91' they'd fixed all the issues with the boats and dumped the Force motors in favor of Mercury and Mercruiser engines.

Spectrum boats are a good boat, NOW. after tracker bought the line from US Marine. Spectrum started as Blue Fin and the general consensus was they made a good sprinkler for your yard when filled with water. the transition was between 87' and 88' model years.

yes , my boat it a newer one , a 2003 175 with a 3.0L Mercruiser, that engine/drive combo is bulletproof.
No, it's not as fast as some, but it's a great boat and will run all weekend on an 18 gallon tank of fuel. those fast boats are lucky to run a couple hours on that...lol