fourstroke evinrude fluid change need to know

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowesam

Reaction score
i can't afford to take my 9.9hp four stroke e-rude to get all the fluids changed, and don't have a manual, and i need to know how drain the old oil, and how much and what kind to put back in it. i also need to know how to change the lower unit lube, as well as what to put in it and how much. any help will be appreciated, oh and i think it is either a 1998 or '99 model outboard.

thanks
sam

If you had a Yamaha I could help. I'm sure Bassboy could help you out when he weighs in next or PM him. One piece of advice I have is to stick too your brands oils and filters. I've had a lot of outboards and have learned the hard way about scimping on cheaper oils and 4-stroke filters. I only use Yamalube and Yamaha filters on my Yamahas.

Also, I was able to print out a manual for each of my outboards online. You might want to Google your motor.

I am a 2 stroke guy, and since the advent of DI technology (etec) that has all the benefits 4 stroke has (slow trolling capabilities, quietness etc), I will probably stay that way for a while, unless finances won't allow me to get an Etec for my next build, in which I will have to go with a 4 stroke. Anyway, I am basically saying that as far as the upper end is concerned, I don't have a clue.

Here is how to change the gear lube though. You need a bottle of gear lube, the little pump for it (can get in boating section of Walmart in the same package as a quart of pennzoil gear lube), and a new O-ring for the drain and fill plugs (a buck at any Johnson/Evinrude dealer). Unscrew the top one, then the bottom, allowing both to drain. Then, put a new seal on the bottom plug only, leaving the top one with the old seal. Attach your pump to the bottom hole, and pump until it starts to come out the top hole. Put the plug with the old ring in the top plug. Now, quickly unscrew your pump, and put the plug with the new ring back in the bottom hole. Now, unscrew the top one, put any in that may have come out before you could get the bottom plug back on, and reinstall the plug, now with the new seal.

While you are in there picking up your lower unit seals, the guy behind the counter should be able to help with the upper end oil change, and timing belt adjustment or whatever else those 4 strokes need, as I don't have a clue.

thanks guys, i'll take a trip to the e-rude dealer and just ask.

sam

lowesam said:
yep, a manual is on order.

sam

Worth every penny!!

If it's anything like my Yamaha, it's the easiest oil change you can do on anything. It has a plug just under the back of the motor and Yamaha even has a rubber tube around the plug that pulls down so you don't get oil everywhere. On mine a couple quarts of oil and a filter and you are done. The filter should look like a car filter.

Good Luck