Framing assistance needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dambo0708

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site and new to the remod scene. I have a 12' mod v. I plan on decking from the front of the boat back to the middle bench. Then from the back bench to the back of the boat. Working on the back today. My question is how to brace the very front of the boat for the deck? I don't know anyone who welds aluminum, and would rather use wood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 721
are you building the deck to mount a pedestal chair? idk, seems like the boat may get a little top heavy / tippy. have you taken her out yet? i would check to see how stable that tinny is before making any decisions. nice little boat you have there!
dino

Thanks! The boat is very stable towards the front. And I figure with some added weight of plywood and 2x4s would keep the bow sitting further in the water. I plan on leaving all benches in and decking over top. Pedestal seat near or on where front bench is. My problem is with the bracing at the bow.

My 12 foot tin got framed in a fashion similar to The Maestro, also with 2x2's but with 5/8 in. ply. It's very sturdy. 2x4's or 3/4 ply are unnecessary given the distances spanned and you should save all the unnecessary weight you can.

if your comfortable with a deck on a 12v I recommend going a similar route as mine. 2x3's are plenty strong.. may be able to get away with smaller if you use more wood

i used the front and rear benches to support my framing with wood secured to the sides of benches with self tappin screws.. framing inbetween. this picture is before i was finished. my deck is secured right over the top of the frame and to the benches.. it supports my 265lbs just fine when trolling

more pictures in my "build thread" in signature

2012-05-17_13-04-43_969.jpg

Just do a search for "treated lumber" on this site. There are 33 pages speaking to the issue.

In its simplest form...the chemicals in both older and now the newest treated lumber can and does react with aluminum. Aluminum and copper.. (one of the chemicals in treated wood) .. can cause holes in the aluminum boat.

Some people, including the clerks at the large box stores, will tell you that the newer treated lumber doesn't react ....You might want to read up on it before you put the wood in.
Rich

You'll see the wood I used is blue. This is a new, organic based treatment that Im guessing isnt avaioable yet in the USA, but its used alot here in canada in new housing. Its been very effective, and its non toxic. I have a link to it on my build,but to be sure its NOT presure treated, and its not designed for submerged applications, but it is rot, mildew and bug resistant if exposed to the elements. And unlike thompsons type sealers,it doesnt require reapplication. It actually lets the wood breathe without retaining excessive moisture.

Plus, the blue looks cool \:D/

I would go higher than the benches. You can look at my build as well.I used some 2x4s & 2x2s.

Re. Blue...The issue isn't the wonderful aspects of the wood...the issue is ..does the wood contain copper or any other metal substances. Dis-similar metals corrode ...with the weaker metal ...often aluminum...dissolvng. Rich

You are absolutely correct, dissimilar metals especially in combination with aluminum will cause rapid oxidation of the aluminum as it gives up its electrons. Copper, especially alakline copper quat is particularly bad, common in PT wood. Pressure treated wood of any kind will always contain a metal that reacts with fungi and insects to 'short circuit' if you will their chemical makeup, thus making it bug/rot proof.
The bluewood treatment uses no metals, and is quite inert. It mimics what nature does with cedar and its natural mould/bug/water resistance. Its not pressuretraeted, and you can buy the stain as you would any paint. Its just easier to buy it pre-stained, but you can use it on any wood. BUT its not designed for constant submersion in water or wet soil (ie fence posts in the ground).

Bottom line is dont use the PT when its in contact with metal that hasnt been treated to resist the ACQ in the wood. Thats why they make deck screws specific for PT wood. Aluminum boats arent ACQ proof!

Latest posts