Freezing Rain/Ice Storm

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We here in central NC are supposed to get hammered(for us) tomorrow night. 4 to 8 inches im my area and possibly more north of us.Freezing rain in the SE of NC. Spring cant get here fast enough!!!

Quackrstackr said:
10 to 12 inches in the next 24 hours for us WW, what about yourself?

Recent report on the 6:00 news says 4" - 6" for us, but I know how that goes. So far no news whether we're in school tomorrow, and they'll wait to the last minute before they announce anything.

What a crock. I want to be a meteorologist.

This epic winter storm was supposed to start at midnight last night and have 4 inches on the ground by now. The emergency management director called everyone in the county yesterday and told them to stock up on water and groceries and expect up to a foot of snow. It's 6 am and we haven't seen a single snowflake. The local TV weather is now saying that we might get almost 1.5" in the next 24 hours... but is still calling it a severe winter storm. :roll: :roll: :roll:

They have put 4 states into a total panic the last 2 days because of last year's ice storm over 1.5 to 3 inches of snow.

Quackrstackr said:

This epic winter storm was supposed to start at midnight last night and have 4 inches on the ground by now. The emergency management director called everyone in the county yesterday and told them to stock up on water and groceries and expect up to a foot of snow. It's 6 am and we haven't seen a single snowflake. The local TV weather is now saying that we might get almost 1.5" in the next 24 hours... but is still calling it a severe winter storm. :roll: :roll: :roll:

They have put 4 states into a total panic the last 2 days because of last year's ice storm over 1.5 to 3 inches of snow.

Yeah, here in W. Arkansas, they have been spooking everybody for the last 3 days about this storm and as of right now it is only raining. No ice, no snow, just rain. Cold though, too cold for me to try to wet a line.

tincansailor said:
Quackrstackr said:

Yeah, here in W. Arkansas, they have been spooking everybody for the last 3 days about this storm and as of right now it is only raining. No ice, no snow, just rain. Cold though, too cold for me to try to wet a line.

Last night they went ahead and cancelled school for today. After work yesterday, the wife and I went to the grocery store for "essentials", filled-up the truck with gas, then came home to wait for the storm. I'm sitting here looking out the window at home and I can still see the ground. Sure is cold out there though with 19* temp.

It finally started snowing here at work (Paris, TN) about 45 minutes ago.

The most local TV station had reported that Paris was a slippery mess of ice and sleet but there hadn't been a drop of anything hit the ground when I got here this morning. :roll:

Jim said:
In the teens here. It was below Zero with the wind last night. I could only get the house up to 71 with the fireplace insert.

I know what you mean with the insert.. I'm not impressed with them at all. We did some work on a house this last cold spell, temps in the teens, couldn't get it above freezing IN THE HOUSE with it.. I'm sure there are better ones out there than what we had, but still...
Thats why I like my WonderWood stove. I can open that baby up and be hot enough in here to roast a turkey.

Supposed to hit here around 10pm tonight with up to 1 inch of ice and 10 inches of snow.
You guys be safe out there.

Andy said:
Jim said:
In the teens here. It was below Zero with the wind last night. I could only get the house up to 71 with the fireplace insert.

I know what you mean with the insert.. I'm not impressed with them at all. We did some work on a house this last cold spell, temps in the teens, couldn't get it above freezing IN THE HOUSE with it.. I'm sure there are better ones out there than what we had, but still...
Thats why I like my WonderWood stove. I can open that baby up and be hot enough in here to roast a turkey.

Supposed to hit here around 10pm tonight with up to 1 inch of ice and 10 inches of snow.
You guys be safe out there.

My issue last night Is that I started the fire too late(10 PM). By then it was already below zero with the wind outside and 68 degrees in the house where the thermostat is set. I got it up to 71 and then fell asleep. If I get that fire going during the day.....I can maintain 78 degrees.

That's why I put a set of ventless gas logs in my fireplace. Natural gas is cheap when compared with having to deal with wood and the mess. I can get my house roasting if I want.

Jim said:
I can maintain 78 degrees.

My target is around 75.

Quackrstackr said:
That's why I put a set of ventless gas logs in my fireplace. Natural gas is cheap when compared with having to deal with wood and the mess. I can get my house roasting if I want.

I don't mind fooling with the wood, allthough that may change when I get a few more years on me... LOL

My mom has them. They'll run you out of the house for sure.

:beer:

I kind of like dealing with the wood too! makes me feel like a caveman. :LOL2:

This is the one I have: https://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=4100i

A stock picture of it, NOT my house.

4100iFrame.jpg

Jim said:
I kind of like dealing with the wood too! makes me feel like a caveman. :LOL2:

This is the one I have: https://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=4100i

A stock picture of it, NOT my house.

4100iFrame.jpg

That's a good looking insert. I know what you mean about the caveman... LOL

Here is the one I have, accept mine is in brown and grey instead of black and grey.
2941B.gif

I haven't had a chance to cook on it yet, we haven't lost power long enough to have the need to, and I hope I NEVER have to.

Update.... They're now calling for up to 14 inches of snow here..... What did I do with that pot.......

They shut down the office and we slipped and slid the 30 some odd miles home.

We only have a couple of inches on the ground so far but what hit first sort of melted on the roads and then it picked up, causing that to freeze. It's pretty slick around here.

I have the gas logs fired up and a package of crappie thawing. :mrgreen:

Coming down pretty steady here now. It only started snowing about an hour ago, and everything, including roads, are covered now, and the traffic is creeping-by on the main road by my house.

Well, it's been snowing all night, and still coming down. I went out to clean the truck off, and we probably have 6" - 8" of snow right now. Myself and about 11 others from the local Middle and High Schools were supposed to attend a BAI (Basic Archery Instructor) course at a local school this morning, but that ain't gonna happen. Kentucky is running basic indoor archery for schools statewide (those that want to get involved), and it's doing fairly well. Never shot a bow in my life, but that's about to change, lol. We may not have school Monday.

Here where I am SW of St.Louis,we ended up with 3in of the white stuff that has the consistency of sand.We were only supposed to get a dusting-1in.Just got done plowing 100ft of driveway,cul-de-sac,and 500ft of sub-division road to make path to the main road.Toes are cold.Looks like we got off easy this time. Be carefull out there.

I stuck a tape measure in the front yard a bit ago and it measured 7". I don't know how much we got for sure as the wind has blown it. It is a lot deeper than that it some places. I just brushed over a foot of it off of the south facing side of my boat cover.

Latest posts