Frogs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim357

Reaction score
Went out today to toss some frogs and see which I liked better the spro bronze eye, or the swamp donkey. I fished them straight out of the package, no mods, and damnd if I could get either to walk the dog. Im gonna try shorting one leg and see if that helps. As for which I liked better it was the swamp donkey, the fish on the other hand liked the spros. The main reason i liked the donkey more was that it didnt take in water. Where as the spro had to be squeezed out after every other cast. The day started off like any other day fishing a frog, I missed the first two bites. By the time the third fish hit I was ready and hooked into about a 2lber with authority. Later I hooked into a dink which jumped and spit the hook, another reason I wasnt a big fan of the spro, if it wasnt a decent sized fish chances of hooking them went way down. The next bite on the spro was a learning experience, I was moving it about as fast as I could when a hawg spoiled behind it I killed it the fish smashed it, I set the hook and away the fish went with my frog, had to be a 6lber at least, guess its time for the power pro. I got one more respectable large mouth that was hooked with both hooks and somewhat deep, I had to go in through the gills to get it off. I ended the day with my first snakehead of the year and possible a personal best, was about 3ft long and maybe 15lbs. I walked the banks and found someone to give it to first thing the guy did was try to open its mouth with his hand, lucky it was still locked down on my spro.
09snakehead1.jpg

Any body got any good frog tricks, ie adding weight or rattles trimming the legs ect.

Slim - to get the Swamp Donkey to walk a little use either a loop knot or a small duolock clip. If you are tied tight to the frog is swings side to side far less

I haven't used them much, but did purchase a pack of the Strike King Rage Tail Toad. These things can kick some water! I recommend using at least a 6/0 ewg hook (t-rigged), as the toads are not hollow, and the 6/0 hook should allow for a good hook-up.

Strike King Rage Tail Toad: (Green Pumpkin Pearl)
Rage_Toad.JPG

The feet rip off the Rage Tail Toads WAY too easily for close to $1 a bait if you're fishing them in lily pads. I still like Horny Toads the best. For frogs, I prefer a Mann's Super Frog over the others. Spros need constant draining like you said, and I can't buy a bite on my Swamp Donkey. I go back to what I catch fish on, and that's the solid toad baits.

Nice snakehead. Are they still wanting ya'll to keep them, or are they not as big of a threat as once thought?

They still want you to keep and kill them, but I dont think its gonna make a difference. I havent tried the manns super frog I was looking at it the other day seeing as its a bit cheaper, and with those critters your lucky if you ever see your bait again. I tried a horny toad for the first time today, and didnt really like it, I might have liked it better if the water was calmer but it seemed to not make enough commotion to get the fish interested, for the soft plastic ones I think I like mine or the ribbits the best.

I don't fish to many(none)realistic frogs,so sorry can't be of any help there.
Sounds like you had a nice day of fishing,I read somewhere that them snakeheads taste good?
Way to go,to bad about your line breaking.

Spro's are horrible with hooksets, the upturned gammy on the swamp donkey practically hooks the fish themselves. I used to love the bronzeye, until I found the swamp donkey, I refuse to fish another frog unless I absolutely have to. I have cut the legs on both frogs to try to get them to walk, but it is useless. I do, however, have a fish arrow frog that walks like a champ. It has a swivel on the back that you can attach either a small blade, or a skirt to. With the skirt attached it walks extremely well.

Ok I'm gonna be the oddball here and tell you I love the Spro Frogs and rarely miss a fish with them. I dont understand why you are having problem with them .. They are hands down my #1 Topwater Frog .

FishinsMyLife said:
The feet rip off the Rage Tail Toads WAY too easily for close to $1 a bait if you're fishing them in lily pads...

The couple of times I did use them were in some thick lily pads, and didn't have any problems with parts ripping off of them. Maybe I didn't use them enough to wear them out, lol. :)

My favorite toads are the Zoom Horny Toad and the Stanley Ribbits, both on the Zoom Horny Toad hook. Don't fish too many frogs, so I couldn't tell you

I prefer horney toads. If I'm using a floating frog, I go with a small little snag proof brand. I bend the hooks upward a little bit, and almost always get a good hook set.

I LOVE the action on the Rage Tail, but man they are soft or something. After about 2 fish my hook wont stay in the body, so it doesnt run right and slide off/out of the hook. Also the legs are VERY easily bit off! If the fish dont hit it right, there goes the legs. This is the reason i started throwing more buzz baits, i cant afford to fish the Rage Tails. Now the Rage Shad is a litte bit more durable, and is great when there is chop on the water. I think it runs way better also. I really like the Shad.

I havent tried many frogs like the Bronzeye or Donkey because i havent found a place with lots of scum or pads. Friday i went to a place that had some, so i think i am going to buy one. Has anyone tried Bobbys Perfect Frog? I wish i had an Academy near by. The H20 Express frog looks mean. I will be in Lousiana the end of the month, and will be raiding the Academy in Houma of all its H20 cranks, and may buy a reel.

Thanks for the clip tip ahab, I used them yesterday, didnt get a bite (on frogs anyways) but did manage to walk a donkey ever so slightly. Also tried a few more types first boze sumo frog, it was very similar to the spro, but I dont think it took in as much water. Then the popin bronze eye, of all the ones ive fished this one walked the best by far. Im gonna try to get back out there this morning and see if I cant get a fish or two.

Man, you must really like frogs. All those you just named would be a nice chunk of change. LoL

I think i will try the River2Sea croaker frog. I like thier products pretty good.

I am going to resurrect this thread rather than start up a new one...

Anyway, I LOVE frogging. It's probably my favorite way to fish, and up here in Minnesota, a lot of our lakes are THICK with sloppy vegetation right up to the surface, and in many of these lakes, if you want bass, you have to be willing to fish that stuff, and frogs are by far the best way to do that.

For starters, I really believe that it doesn't really matter much which frog you use in the fish's eyes: if they are in the mood, they will bite on anything that closely resembles a frog, mouse, or small bird on the surface. The one thing that DOES seem to make a pretty big difference is color. We did a lot of frog fishing on Saturday and my buddy was using a leopard frog print while I used a white frog that almost never produces strikes, but that day, I had 3 times as many strikes as he did working the same spots from the same boat.

I always liked the cheap snag-proof frogs. The green one was my go-to frog for a long time, and some of the biggest fish I have ever caught were caught on these. I still like to use these, but recently, I finally broke down and decided to give the Spro frogs a shot because I heard they cast a lot better and it's true! I hate to say it, but the extra cash you pay for these things are SO worth it to me. I can literally cast these things 3 times further than I can cast a plain ol' scum frog or snag proof, and that has made frog fishing far more enjoyable for me: I can work from further from shore and still hop them up on the bank, and I can work MUCH more water this way per cast. It sucks losing them to those **** pike for what they cost, but I think it's totally worth it.

As for hook-sets... Aside from the adjustment period when I first started frogging (it takes some practice to figure out how to effectively set the hook when frogging) I have no problems setting the hook with ANY of the frogs no matter which hooks they have on them, and I think I know why some people have a harder time than others do. Watching my buddy and comparing his technique to mine made me realize why he misses more fish than I do. I tend to work my frogs nice and slow. Each twitch is very short, and I work a frog on one cast for the amount of time it takes him to make 2 casts. I also pause. A lot. 90% of the time when I get a strike, my frog is sitting still, and just about every time I get those strikes, the bass has it INSIDE his mouth and probably almost halfway down his throat (especially with the bigger fish: the dinks miss a lot more I have noticed). As soon as my frog disappears, I let the bass pull the slack out of the line and then I hit em HARD. My buddy doesn't have this luxury because his frog is moving more. He would get strikes and set the hook, and most of his fish that he actually manages to bring to the side of the boat are hooked in the lips, whereas my fish almost always have the frog pretty far down inside their mouths. They jump and shake, but they almost never throw my frogs because both hooks are buried pretty well into the roof of their mouths.

I think when they grab his frog, they actually get a chance to feel how un-natural it is because they probably actually "bite" the frog with their lips and spit it out sooner. But if they get a direct hit on a frog that isn't moving, they are looking to swallow that thing whole. Like I said, I let them run with it for a few seconds before I set the hook, and it works almost every single time, whether it's a cheap $4 snag proof or scum frog, or a $10 Spro. Those hooks sets almost always hold strong.

That's just my two cents anyway: there isn't a right or wrong way to frog... It's fun no matter how you approach it, but I like to share what works for me...

I'm going to have to second the fact that slower is better. If I'm fishing frogs/topwaters and not getting any bites, it's usually because I'm going too fast. Someone told me that when the water got above 80, you could go flat out and the fish would bite. That just isn't true (at my lakes anyway). From the initial plop of the bait on the water, it has to sit, then work it slowly, with long pauses. I may raise a fish or two with fast retrieves, but slow seems to result in MANY more bites AND HOOKUPS.

And just recently I started using spray attractant, It seems to make a difference if it's sprayed or not - but I need more research before I swear by it.