Frogs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man - AWESOME Thread!

I love frog fishing, we do it alot here running ponds and Lake Blackshear.. My friend has good luck with the Horny toad.. They rip them to shreds but the hook sets are awesome. Statistically speaking he runs his fast - hits the water small pause then cranks. (We use spin casters so its slower then the Bait Caster guys)

I run the originals and have had good luck with them. I run more slowly for a delayed reaction but have had "ok" luck running them..Greens or Dark greens, I lost one on a black one as well.

However running one slowly I watched a nice size bucket mouth swim up to my frog, nose it then it swam away. I was disgusted. He was a big fish I told my partner that I think the fish was saying "This is fake I'm not stupid" lol.

Nice thread.

Here's a video recently posted on another site I frequent of a a couple locals throwing the Spro Bronzeye. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned not being able to get any action out of it. You'll notice these guys seem to be able to get plenty of "walk" action out of it. Even if you're not interested in frog fishing, these are the fattest LM I've ever seen.

[youtube]z9kgPVz68_o[/youtube]

The action needed is similar to a zara spook. Keep the rod tip down and work with small twitches on a semi slack line. The Spro will cast a mile with 60# braid.

As far as the frog filling up with water..... many frog baits will do that. The way to prevent it is to use a dab of Megastrike in the hole. If you don't want to buy megastrike, some Vaseline would do it too. When a fish hits the bait, it comes out easily.

Looks like Jim got my link to work. Thanks Man!

That is an awesome video. If there was only one bait I could use for LM for the rest of my life, it would definately be a frog, preferebly the spro king daddy. Since going to a king of all frogs, I see no reason to go back to a smaller one. While most of the fish I have caught on them were 3lbs+ I still have pulled in a few dinks, and even those fish had the monster frog as far down as they could get it.

I wrote a long post on frog fishing years ago, I think its still on here...I'll have to look for it

here's a 12" bass with a king daddy crammed in its mouth :shock:
DSC00032.jpg

jkbirocz said:
That is an awesome video. If there was only one bait I could use for LM for the rest of my life, it would definately be a frog, preferebly the spro king daddy. Since going to a king of all frogs, I see no reason to go back to a smaller one. While most of the fish I have caught on them were 3lbs+ I still have pulled in a few dinks, and even those fish had the monster frog as far down as they could get it.

I wrote a long post on frog fishing years ago, I think its still on here...I'll have to look for it

here's a 12" bass with a king daddy crammed in its mouth :shock:
DSC00032.jpg

Holy crap dude! I was at Gander today to grab a few spro kings and I kind of wanted to try the Spro King Daddy... I just couldn't imagine half the LM's up here being able to get that thing in their mouths even if they tried! Still, I might grab one or two just to see. If anything, I shouldn't have too much trouble getting a Musky or Northern to hit it and swim away with it :lol:

Believe me man, I totally feel you on that. I first got one just for the hell of it. It took me like a week or two before I caught anything on it. It probly took that long just because I wasn't fishing it with any confidence. Once I started catching fish on it, its all I want to throw in terms of frogs. If you think you can throw a regular bronzeye far, wait till you launch a king daddy out there. I was completely skeptical about its size, but when you think about it, a real frog is super soft and compacts into practically nothing, so there is no reason why a bass wouldn't hit such a huge frog. The lake I fish it at most is filled with huge frogs that dwarf the size of the king daddy. Its also alot of cash to drop on a frog, but it has totally been worth it for me. Good luck if you pick one up.

That is to funny lol - that frog is the size of the fish.

I found one site for Swamp Donkeys does anyone have any more suggestions?

https://www.delawaretrophybass.com/apps/forums/topics/show/933652-frog-tips

A lot of info here too.

I usually fish white frogs, now I gotta get some yellow/browns.

wasilvers said:
https://www.delawaretrophybass.com/apps/forums/topics/show/933652-frog-tips

A lot of info here too.

I usually fish white frogs, now I gotta get some yellow/browns.

Man that got me fired up about frogs. Now I need a cranking rod and a frog rod. Man fishing sure is expensive.......

I just use a medium rod with 12 lb floro on it for the weedy areas (no pads). Usually I can work them out of the weeds / or pull up a mess getting them out.

If there are pads, I use a medium heavy with 35 lb braid with a 20lb leader on it. Works great unless it's a pike.

I see no need to have the equipment to try and skate a 5lb bass across the top, it just will not work - especially if they hit at the end of a long cast.

Edit: Spro's are on sale at Cabelas now...
https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037437121062a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=spro&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

wasilvers said:
I just use a medium rod with 12 lb floro on it for the weedy areas (no pads). Usually I can work them out of the weeds / or pull up a mess getting them out.

If there are pads, I use a medium heavy with 35 lb braid with a 20lb leader on it. Works great unless it's a pike.

I see no need to have the equipment to try and skate a 5lb bass across the top, it just will not work - especially if they hit at the end of a long cast.

Edit: Spro's are on sale at Cabelas now...
https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037437121062a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=spro&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

I thought the reason to use braid was to aviod the line strectch and so you could walk it better. Is that not the case?

I use braid for everything, so thats just another reason I use them with frogs. A heavy rod with a extra fast action is great for frogs, the lighter tip lets you launch the frogs. I have only recently had success walking frogs in open water or on pad edges. The king daddy frog walks like a champ with ease. Other frogs you have to work with them a while till you figure out how to make them walk. I have heard cutting one leg shorter or just cutting the legs shorter help the frog walk better. I have found that with frogs you have to jerk the bait harder and actually point the rod tip back at the bait to give it more slack line to make it walk. Basically the same action you would use for a spook, but just a little more rodtip motion. You don't really need a special rod for frogs, it just helps...just like any other technique specific rod. I personally use a 7'6" powell max hvy/ex-fast rod. Bassically a flipping rod with a faster tip, works great, and you can slam them on the hookset :D

Hey all. Nice site. I just finished converting another small boat for lakes and ponds here. i retired from tournaments, etc and now just fish for trophy bass, so I need some small boats for lakes and ponds as you know there are lots of giant bass in small waters. lol I registered after seeing some people showing up in my stats on my website from here. If there is anything you would like to use feel free just ask. I have over 300 videos and I am doing a new one in the morning, so stop by anytime and ask whatever you like I am always available to help. i'll be back soon and post some info and stuff here. Nice talking to you all. Tight lines, Steve owner Delawaretrophybass.com
Whoops. Posted this in the wrong place. I should have added some frog Tips here also to make it relevant. I'll be back.

Trophy Bass Videos said:
lol I registered after seeing some people showing up in my stats on my website from here. If there is anything you would like to use feel free just ask.

Steve - sorry about linking to your page and not asking first. Yours came up in a google search about frog color and it had some great info I thought was relavent. No harm intended :oops:

To the Spro Users: I sure hope you are right about these being the bomb. I just plunked down hard cash for 4 of them. Got two normal and 2 popper style. (I buy everything in 2's since the people I usually take fishing never have the same lures as me, and if one gets hot, well, I want them to catch fish too :roll: )

Just went out today and couldn't catch anything on a spro.. 3 blows ups that missed the frog completely, and one missed hookset.. switched to a snag proof and hooked up on 6 big ones. And to think I used to be a spro fan :?

dyeguy1212 said:
Just went out today and couldn't catch anything on a spro.. 3 blows ups that missed the frog completely, and one missed hookset.. switched to a snag proof and hooked up on 6 big ones. And to think I used to be a spro fan :?

What are these snag proof you speal of?

Yeah if you guys dont mind posting some links to where we can get the frogs it would be great.

I want to try a Spro, Horny toad, and the snag proof ;)

I love the Snag Proof frogs (I know you can find them at Fleet Farm and Gander Mountain). I just wish I could cast them further. Are you just talking about the plain green one that looks like a real frog with actual legs?

Latest posts