Frogs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad y'all use all that expensive stuff... get the fish immune to them so they don't them anymore

I don't throw any frogs other than Sizmic propwash toads...

russ010 said:
I'm glad y'all use all that expensive stuff... get the fish immune to them so they don't them anymore

I don't throw any frogs other than Sizmic propwash toads...

You dont have any expensive tackle do ya Russ? :lol:

only thing expensive in my boat is the rods and reels.. I think I have 1 lucky craft crankbait I never throw - that's the most expensive crankbait I've got. I guess I spend more money on terminal tackle than I do actual baits

The advantage of spro frogs to me is that its a heavier frog meaning it will work a lot better in heavier thick cover and cast further with ease. Most of the time in heavier cover you would get a strike better with a spro due to more noise and water it throws up. But with spros being 9 bucks a piece I pass on them. I by scum frogs though they don't lsdt long due to cheap plastic material. But it is a lot cheaper. 3 bucks almost any outdoor store including walmart carrys them. Scum frogs are small and lite so casting it mite be I little tough on used or less line one your pole and reel setup. Scum frogs are one of the original frogs created before all the fancy stuff and I will say maybe the best. Hookset is not the problem with scummies. The only thing is fish can't stop exploding on it. I tried the rage tail and I dislike them. Those are more for open water. 30lb+ braid is a must on top water lures casting into any type of cover.(weeds, lilypads, trees,ect.) Not only that you will have no strech in your line you will get the fish out of the thick stuff faster with less problems. My set up is 2500 shimano stradic 30lb braid(changing to 4000 stradic with 65lb braid when I have the right funds) and a 6ft mediun heavy berkly bionix. Hope this helps a little bit

wasilvers said:
Trophy Bass Videos said:
lol I registered after seeing some people showing up in my stats on my website from here. If there is anything you would like to use feel free just ask.

Steve - sorry about linking to your page and not asking first. Yours came up in a google search about frog color and it had some great info I thought was relavent. No harm intended :oops:

To the Spro Users: I sure hope you are right about these being the bomb. I just plunked down hard cash for 4 of them. Got two normal and 2 popper style. (I buy everything in 2's since the people I usually take fishing never have the same lures as me, and if one gets hot, well, I want them to catch fish too :roll: )
Hey No problem at all I am glad you did. I am there to try to help as much as possible. i hope I can contribute some more to your forums here as well. Stop by anytime also at mine and say hi we can even exchange links if you like?? Just let me know. Tight lines, steve
PS Heading out in the am in a few hours to fish at a local lake with some Spro frogs, Mad maxx, and some Rage Tails. Video will follow asap after.

Since the last time I posted on this thread, I've gotten to where I prefer to fish a Ribbit Frog over all other frogs/toads. I don't like to let the bass get a good look at the bait like they would with a hollowbody on a pause. I could pick up some more fish "finessing" and coaxing them to bite with the slow twitches and injured frog look of a hollowbody, but I go for the aggressive reaction strikes a lot of the time.

dyeguy1212 said:
I prefer horney toads. If I'm using a floating frog, I go with a small little snag proof brand. I bend the hooks upward a little bit, and almost always get a good hook set.

Doing this also makes them virtually weedless. I find if I don't turn the hooks slightly into the body that I still catch the lily pads. Once bent in they almost never do. I'm too cheap to spend a lot of $ on my frogs. My partner and I were killing the bass earlier this summer with Scum frogs.

Well went out and bought a spro frog today...13.99 plus tax 15%.
Hope a pickerel doesn't take off with it.

Zum said:
Well went out and bought a spro frog today...13.99 plus tax 15%.
Hope a pickerel doesn't take off with it.

I wish you luck with that... The reason it has taken me this long to break down and buy a Spro is those **** Northern Pike. I can't even count how many Scumfrogs and Snag Proof frogs I have lost to the Toothies this year alone. Luckily they usually have horrible aim: if I am paying close enough attention, I can rip the frog back to the boat before they get a chance to slam it again (and they almost always will if you give them the chance...) I then tie on something cheap and try to catch it: those Pike are fun! Just not fun enough to dangle a $10 bill in their toothy face. :lol:

RIVER2SEA BULLY WA 65 FROG
Anybody using these,there alittle cheaper,seem to have nice hooks.

I have a bully wa or two, they are a good frog as well. Mine are all torn up from pickerel though. The hook is the main thing I look at when it comes to buying frogs. I still say the best frog ever is a reaction innovations swamp donkey. They have upturned roundbed gammy's and they just flat out hook fish. The have a really soft durable body that compresses like no other frog....and explain to me why they are out of production :x

Seems to me spro frogs bodies are a lot softer than they were when they first came out, like what five or more years ago? I don't have any, but I also really like some of their new tanslucent body colors they make. Then I just saw the Koppers Live target frogs....and the river2sea larry dahlberg diver frogs...there are so many to choose from these days.

Ive been reading and while I have 20lb braid..lol some of you guys are running shark wire out there LOL :)

so to put out the question what is the ideal line for fishing the cabbage?

FishinsMyLife said:
but I go for the aggressive reaction strikes a lot of the time.

and that my friend is why you are stomping us with all of the BIG fish you catch =D>

MadCatX said:
Ive been reading and while I have 20lb braid..lol some of you guys are running shark wire out there LOL :)

so to put out the question what is the ideal line for fishing the cabbage?

I use 30 lb Power Pro and it seems to work just fine. A lot of people prefer much stronger line. 60+ lb test seems to be pretty popular.

I guess if I used my rod/reel exclusively for frogging, I might consider putting 60 lb test on it, but since I don't have the money to have 10 rod/reels with me at all times, I tend to use my rod/reels for multiple uses, and frogging is literally the only thing I would want to use line that strong for. That said, I would really like to have a setup for frogging only with 60 lb braid on it. That would be pretty sweet.

breachless said:
I tend to use my rod/reels for multiple uses, and frogging is literally the only thing I would want to use line that strong for. That said, I would really like to have a setup for frogging only with 60 lb braid on it. That would be pretty sweet.

Make you a frog rod... and take you a pack of senkos along with you and throw them on that - watch your hook up/bite ratio with the senko....

I get hit harder and more often with a senko on braid than I do fluoro or mono

russ010 said:
I get hit harder and more often with a senko on braid than I do fluoro or mono

Russ - Seriously? I found the opposite here, With braid on, they barely bite. (But the water is pretty clear)

seriously... and the water is clear where I fish too.

I don't know what it is - I throw the Stren SuperBraid 30lb (which you can't get anymore). I haven't used any of the other braids to see if there's any difference because I bulked up stock on these reels when I found out they were discontinuing them.

I use Eagle Claw weedless hooks (just a plain hook with the wire that attaches behind the hook point). Since I switched to that hook and Netbait senkos - they have started killing it. I only throw one color too - Green Pumpkin/Watermelon laminate

russ010 said:
seriously... and the water is clear where I fish too.

I don't know what it is - I throw the Stren SuperBraid 30lb (which you can't get anymore). I haven't used any of the other braids to see if there's any difference because I bulked up stock on these reels when I found out they were discontinuing them.

I use Eagle Claw weedless hooks (just a plain hook with the wire that attaches behind the hook point). Since I switched to that hook and Netbait senkos - they have started killing it. I only throw one color too - Green Pumpkin/Watermelon laminate

Hmmm, all I can say is dang fish. I wish they'd make up their minds what they want to bite on! :LOL2:

I usually throw baby bass - or red shad. If it gets real cloudy, I'll use black. All work pretty good.

This is the fishing reports section right?

So I went out at sunset tonight. i saw 3 small bass hitting on the top so i tied on the only frog I had in the wormbag, a green scumfrog. Now let me say, I know to wait 2 seconds tiil you feel the pull, and I did that, but I missed SIX nice hits and an unknown number of smaller ones. They would hit it, start taking it down, They pulled all my slack out and I'd set the hook - to nothing. It had me swearing by the last one.

I tried setting the hook right away and nothing.

I even bent the hooks out a bit to try to help, but still nothing. :evil:

wasilvers said:
This is the fishing reports section right?

So I went out at sunset tonight. i saw 3 small bass hitting on the top so i tied on the only frog I had in the wormbag, a green scumfrog. Now let me say, I know to wait 2 seconds tiil you feel the pull, and I did that, but I missed SIX nice hits and an unknown number of smaller ones. They would hit it, start taking it down, They pulled all my slack out and I'd set the hook - to nothing. It had me swearing by the last one.

I tried setting the hook right away and nothing.

I even bent the hooks out a bit to try to help, but still nothing. :evil:

Well I tell you a fact about frog fishing. Especially in wisconsin! If you can't get the fish on the set hook, it probably means its not big enough to put it in its mouth. And I will guarntee you that. Its pretty normal. Big fish has barely a big explosion attacking a top water because they inhale. Smaller fish has to actually bite it as if its a worm. 95% of the time you get a hit and can't feel the fish on the hook sets, small fish and move on

Latest posts