gas or electric?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom q vaxy

Reaction score
small boat, dislike noise, no need for speed.

i don't know the pros & cons.

any direction appreciated.

thanks

What size boat? Where do you plan on using it and for what? You'll get better answers with a bit more information.

i know so little i don't even know what questions to ask.

it would be a quiet water pond/ lake environment. boat would be a 12' modified V with those tail tank gadgets.

but that's all hypothetical in all honesty. it could end up a 14' with no tail tanks if someone talked sense into me!

i just thought there might be an industry standard where one type of engine has lost/ gained favor and it would be

a fool's errand to consider the other.

never owner more than a tin canoe or plastic kayak, so it's all new to me.

Small body of water, protected at that so little wind, small boat, speed not a factor, don't like noise....no brainer here.
i haven't check other posts, but i assume that's not your signature; lol

any suggestion of brand/ size motor?

I would suggest a 55lb. transom mount trolling motor and a deep cycle battery to begin with. You can always add a 9.9 of your choice later if you feel the need. We regularly fish a 270 acre lake with the trolling motor only. No problems.

He's saying go with electric. A 55lb thrust Minn Kota or Motorguide should be just fine. Pair that with a 100ah TimeUSB battery and you will likely be set for 2 or 3 days of use before charging.

I see you started another thread about the same boat. It would have been thoughtful to include your intent for the boat in this thread.

well . . . . i assumed it would be more thoughtful to keep like things together.

and this could very well be for Any boat.

but scolding someone is always a good way to gain supporters.

Gaso Outboard: More range. Higher speed. More noise. Use everywhere except electric restricted lakes.

Trolling motor: Slow, quiet, new lithium battery technology pretty good. Good for smaller protected lakes.

There are also more powerful electric outboards coming to the market that are replacements for gaso outboards. I know little about them other than they are expensive newer technology. I have yet to see one out on the lakes.

It is good to think about where you want to go and what you want to do with a boat. Think about how much time you want to spend getting from the ramp to where you want to fish.

It sounds like you'll be on the move less 1 mile per outing. Go with an electric if the noise thing is that much an issue. However a small 4 stroke gas engine at idle are very quiet these days. Maybe you should find one and take a listen. I'd go with gas all day every day, it brings many more options IMO. But you mention quiet as if the gas engines aren't.

small boat, dislike noise, no need for speed.

i don't know the pros & cons.

any direction appreciated.

thanks
I use a minn kota endura c2 55 thrust trolling motor and a 100ah lithium battery on my 14x5 semi v aluminum boat with no issues, even when winds pick up to 20mph on a 400 acre lake. Electric is the way to go if you don't want to deal with an outboard motor.

A guy on one of the smaller lakes I fish just got a new Merc Electric. I saw him come out of a cove and pulled beside him and we talked about it while running. Here's the "kicker:, he didn't have any way to measure speed so I took his phone and downloaded a speed app. He took the phone back and hit full throttle and it reached 12 MPH and was almost on plane. (he had a small 12' alum flat bottom) When running side by side at 5 MPH my 9.9 4 stroke Merc was almost as quiet and his electric Merc. My Merc tops out at 24 MPH on the 12' MirroCraft I'm running.
If I was going to limit myself to a single body of water or only small lakes I'd think about an electric OUTBOARD. They wouldn't work for me because I like to go MILES up different rivers fishing and exploring.
But that's just me........

A guy on one of the smaller lakes I fish just got a new Merc Electric. I saw him come out of a cove and pulled beside him and we talked about it while running. Here's the "kicker:, he didn't have any way to measure speed so I took his phone and downloaded a speed app. He took the phone back and hit full throttle and it reached 12 MPH and was almost on plane. (he had a small 12' alum flat bottom) When running side by side at 5 MPH my 9.9 4 stroke Merc was almost as quiet and his electric Merc. My Merc tops out at 24 MPH on the 12' MirroCraft I'm running.
If I was going to limit myself to a single body of water or only small lakes I'd think about an electric OUTBOARD. They wouldn't work for me because I like to go MILES up different rivers fishing and exploring.
But that's just me........
I wonder what his range is with that electric outboard? Seem quite slow though I get about the same speed in a 1436 with 2 adults and a 5hp 2 stroke. The garmin trolling motor on my big boat tops out at 4.5mph dragging 3k lbs through the water I bet on a small tin and some experimenting with props one could maybe double that.

Latest posts