Valco interior paint recommendation help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalBlackSheep

Reaction score
Hi, I'm working on a 12' Valco that I plan on flooring most of it in. But I'll driving myself crazy on which your of paint to use and what color. I've looked at Total Boat, Aluma Hawk, and a couple types of Rust-Oleum. All seem to have there pros and cons.

I will be rolling on whatever I choose. I know I want a flat or satin finish to reduce glare. I really like the look of black, but even though I won't be standing on it, I'm sure it'll still be really hot and hard to keep looking good.

Any suggestions on which brand is best for rolling on disability would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try to give this a little bump.

General feedback from the forums is folks seem pretty happy with the results using Rustoleum primer and paints. I also recall praise about the Total Boat topside paint, along with the point it is much more expensive. I don't know anything about AlumaHawk.

Not much help I'm afraid other than sharing what I've read on this forum.

PS: I grew up doing a lot of fishing from Valco boats on our local lakes. The name sure brings up a lot of good memories. I have to admit, I can't recall seeing one painted, but that doesn't mean they can't be painted.

Last edited:
I'll try to give this a little bump.

General feedback from the forums is folks seem pretty happy with the results using Rustoleum primer and paints. I also recall praise about the Total Boat topside paint, along with the point it is much more expensive. I don't know anything about AlumaHawk.

Not much help I'm afraid other than sharing what I've read on this forum.

PS: I grew up doing a lot of fishing from Valco boats on our local lakes. The name sure brings up a lot of good memories. I have to admit, I can't recall seeing one painted, but that doesn't mean they can't be painted.
Thanks for the feedback👍 I've seen a couple on this page, but not many, and all seem to be pretty old post with not a lot of details on the paint. Maybe I'll start a build thread once I get everything figured out.

Put Rustoleum in the search window and select "this forum". You will get all kinds of hits over the past 12 months. Same for Total Boat and Aluma Hawk, but not near as many hits. BTW, my searches often fail because I don't notice unwanted autocorrect changes -- like for example rustoleum is changed to rustle.

I would look forward to a build thread!

Latest posts