General question about fly fishing and setting up your line.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the more you use it,the more you will try different meathods. its not a really steep learning curve.you dont have to spend a lot of money.a reel only holds your line, and not used for anything else,so a cheapo with a fairly good disc drag is all you need.you can stay away from high end rods unless you plan to do a LOT of long distance casting. i trol l90%of the time with mine.a good sink tip line and a bunch of tapered leaders is all you need to start.

The backing serves two purposes, it allows more line to be picked up with each revolution of the spool and it allows for long runs by big fish that would be able to strip all of the fly line from the real.

A tapered leader is easier to cast than a leader made from mono that is the same diameter from end to end. The type of water and fish will determine the length you should use, I use a 9 ft leader on clear shallow trout streams.

The tippet allows you to retie your fly a number of times without shortening your leader.

Latest posts