Get Five Lures Welcome To Tinboats.net Give Away

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Be great on and off the water"

I'm with heman on this one, treat others how you would want to be treated, stay on the high road, and do the right thing. I had a teacher who's motto was "anything worth doing is worth doing well."

Great contest, I'll give it a go...
What it means to me?....
Nobody is perfect but I try to do a little better today than I did yesterday.
When I make mistakes I try to be accountable for them.
When somebody else makes a mistake I try to be forgiving and help if I can.
I try to say "please" & "thank you" whenever I should.

Best example that I can think of is a local fishing group that is tied into www.herosonthewater.org

They take injured soldiers.sailors.airmen.coasties out fishing. I volunteered for it once, but they never called me. Might be because, at the time, all I had was a tippy canoe to use. Rich

Thank you for your generosity.

As others have stated previously, being and doing right whether or not anyone is watching. Leaving the world (your favorite fishing hole, your workplace, your home etc.) better than you found it. Thinking of others before yourself.

Be great on and off the water..... What does this mean to me?

Well Ill start out by saying that I truly do value and love the fishing community. As an active duty sailor, I move locations, a lot. I end up in places where I dont know anyone, with no friends or family for hundreds of miles. Ive found that I can always fall back on the fishing community, whether that be in a tin boat fishing for bass or fishing from the bank in guantanamo bay, Ive always found a friend while fishing.

I really dont know how to be great on the water as far as fishing skills are concerned. I catch a few fish here and there, but haven't really been a successful tounament fishermen. I am happy to say that I am the first guy to invite the new guy out for a fishing trip. I believe in karma, and if I take a young sailor or child under my wing and show him a good time on the water, then someone will give me the same benefit when Im in a similar situation.

So what does it really mean to me?

It means playing a positive role in this fishing community that we all love and cherish so dearly. Its not always about competition and winning. Its about being a friend and making memories, and most of all, having fun.

Fishing has given me so much joy since I was a child, and I strive to spread that joy to all. Whether it be my 5 year old son or a lonely sailor, I feel confidence in the fact that I can show them a good time on the water, and in return Ill get thier respect and friendship off the water.

I may not be great on or off the water, but I try.

Be great on and off the water to me means...

Being great on the water to me means always appreciating just having the oppurtunity to be out on the water. Appreciate being outside and always trying to improve your skills. Whether you are fishing by yourself or with a buddy always make strides to learn everytime your out there touching up your skills or casting or sharing stories and advice.

To be great off the water to me means being a good samaritan, respecting everyone and being kind and always respecting whatever body of water your on.

Be great on and off the water....seems pretty self explanatory to me....but

We all have that day where we catch a bunch of fish and it just seems like we can do no wrong. Every cast produces a fish or s strike. And then we have all had those days where nothing went right. We tried everything we could and couldn't get a bite. Doesn't really matter. What matters is that we did it, and we did it to the best of our ability. We followed all the boating rules, was curteous to everyone we saw and even helped out someone in need. To me that is being great on the water. Being great off the water followes the same principle. Do your best in everything you do, period. Give the glory to God and he will make everything else better.

(this sounded much better in my head) :LOL2:

(I gotta go cook some food for the kids at our church, good luck to all)

“There are countless ways of attaining greatness, but any road to reaching one's maximum potential must be built on a bedrock of respect for the individual, a commitment to excellence, and a rejection of mediocrity.” ~ Buck Rodgers

Being great on the water means doing everything I can to catch the fish I target, while remaining respectful to the fish I target. Being great off the water means doing everything I can to achieve my goals, while remaining respectful to the goals I target. It means hard work and dedication on either endeavor.

Awesome stuff so far guys. Remember, the deadline to post up on this is tomorrow so don't forget if you haven't yet posted!

Thanks and Be Great On and Off the Water!

"Be Great On AND OFF the Water" defined by Will...

While fishing I always have an awesome time, whether catching boatloads of fish, pulling weeds, or spending hours dodging lures as my son learns the inticacies of an overhand cast. My father bought an old boat and constantly had problems, from the axle breaking while he was lauching, persistent motor issues, to the hydralic lift breaking just as the prop was raised clear of the water miles from the launch. He always maintained a great attitude -happy to simply be enjoying the outdoors. The smile pasted across his face when everything worked right was well worth the long hours of preparation and constant setbacks.

While fishing, I am constatantly on watch to be a good example to my own children. Foremost in my mind is teaching them to show courtesy and respect for other boaters/fishermen they meet. I wish all that share the lake to have as good of a day as I'm having and go out of my way to make someones trip memorable. When the boating is done, I carry that philosphy to every other aspect of my life - approaching each task with enthusiasm while remaining respectful and courteous to others.

So to define being great on an off the water - We should try to show everyone the same joy we experience while fishing - and bring a little of that back to share with every person we meet off the water.

Awesome, awesome stuff guys! We've done similar contests on other forums we sponsor and these were some of the most genuine and heartfelt responses yet. Hopefully, everyone took the time to read them and will take them to heart....

Now for the results. Winners were picked using the random number generator on random.org and their corresponding post number in this thread. Thanks everyone for playing and this won't be the last give away on the forum.

WInners:

cali27
cavman138
Shamoo
DBrooke
wasilvers

Winners, please email or message me your mailing address and color selection!

Congrats on the winnings guys - you are literally going to be fishing something the fish have never seen before - and they literally attack it!

Congrats guys [-o<

Looking forward to some fishing reports!