Good Baitcaster Starter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd take the spool tension knob off and compare the parts with the diagram. Its very possible someone at the store was messing with it at one point or another. Something just doesnt seem right

one100grand said:
cavman138 said:
It just takes some time. I started with the tension knob almost completely tightened down and the magnetic braking at the highest number. You'll get the hang of it.

That's not the problem, for a total newbie on it, I feel I have the process right, but the jig dropped with the tension knob as tight as it would go and the magnetic brake is set high as well...
that shouldnt have anything to do with the magnetic brake, you also should be able to tighten the tension knob down to where it doesnt move at all with a 1/2oz jig (or even heavier baits), I was just using my buddies pro qualifier yesterday and fishing a 1/2oz football jig, and had no problem tightening it down to where the jig wouldnt move, there might be something wrong with your reel.

Ok, so I've established that there's something wrong with the brakes on the reel, meaning that I now need to return it/exchange it. Now I've got another conundrum - I now have an opportunity to purchase an Abu Garcia Revo S for $60 or exchange the BPS Pro Qualifier and just get another one. Please help me with this decision guys.

one100grand said:
Ok, so I've established that there's something wrong with the brakes on the reel, meaning that I now need to return it/exchange it. Now I've got another conundrum - I now have an opportunity to purchase an Abu Garcia Revo S for $60 or exchange the BPS Pro Qualifier and just get another one. Please help me with this decision guys.

Get the qualifier. You just got a bad one, it happens, BPS will make it right. The revo is not as good. I have both and prefer the dual breaks and the smoothness of the pro q over the revo s hands down.

I've said this several times, and I know it's my opinion, but I've bought 3 of the Abu Garcia REVO STX and love them more than any of my other BCs.

I don't know much about the REVO S or what the difference is between the two.

Well, after making my initial purchase and having problems with it, I was a bit wary of the BPS Pro Qualifier, but I decided to keep it based on what lots of folks here told me. Having said that, I couldn't pass the deal on the Revo S either-I ended up getting it for $50. I went and exchanged the PQ for the 7.1-1 gear ratio since the 6.4-1 had problems and needed to be exchanged anyway, I thought I might as well get a different ratio out of it. I'm planning on picking up a used Loomis at the end of the week from the guy who sold me the Revo (provided he still has it). I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice.