Got it wet for the first time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief2

Reaction score
Since buying that "like new" 1436. Today topped 66 degrees, so early this afternoon the wife and I went to a regional lake to fish, but mostly to try out the "new to us" boat.

First impression - I want a bigger boat! OK, the 1436 did fine. The 55 lb. thrust trolling motor moves it along great. The padded folding seats were comfortable, although the craft tends to have a port list since my seat in back is slightly off-center to allow better tiller control.

I installed a floor (not a deck) using foam board between the ribs topped with 1/2" plywood covered with indoor/outdoor carpet. (Looks great!) But, I stood up to cast a few times and the jon felt unstable. (I can't imagine putting a deck on a 36"!)

So, I'll keep this little gem and use it a lot in the local (trolling motor only) lakes. But, I will begin conditioning the wife to the "need" for a bigger boat. Frankly, I don't think I would go below a 17'er now.

Is this your first boat? If it is it will take a little time and use to get use to being in a narrow boat, but after a few trips it will become normal and you want even notice and you will find the boats limits. Wider is always better in most cases moreso than the length unless you plan on carrying 3 or more people.

This is my first jon boat. But I have been paddling and fishing out of a canoe in local rivers for a long time. I also paddle kayaks. So I'm not a stranger to water. In fact, my canoe is longer, at 16', than the jon.

I don't intend to sound negative. Its a great little jon boat for what I will be using it for mostly, which is local state and county-owned fishing lakes that do not allow gasoline motors. Its a keeper!

For the port list, just move the other seat the same distance off center to the other side, or place your battery and other heavy objects to the other side if your seat is not movable.

Good tip about the battery. It was on my side. I really can't move the front seat since the seat base is screwed down onto the bench seat and has a pin-type arrangement for the folding seat.

Yes, wider is the key.

I put a casting deck on the front of my 1432 and would troll around and fish up there all day. Just have to learn the limits and don't make any sudden movements.

Mikeys250 said:
I put a casting deck on the front of my 1432 and would troll around and fish up there all day. Just have to learn the limits and don't make any sudden movements.
Yea But ? What happens when some Nut blows by you at 40+ MPH..and creates a Tsurumi and nowdays around where I fish is the Norm..cva34

As a big Guy I classify a Yak/36 or less boat/canoe/surfboard all like a Bicycle and remember what its like to learn to ride!!!!!! Yea there are some that can ride on 1 wheel (and say its Easy) ..me again