got my boat! another rebuild about to start!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsterkat11

Reaction score
got my boat, it's an ouchita. i can't seem to find the hull number, does anyone know where it's located? hopefully the bmv will be able to supply me with it if i get them the registration number on the side of the boat. 16 foot flat bottom, plenty wide :) i'll start to clean it up, get it ready for primer, paint, floors, and decking tomorrow!!

pics to come!

HIN is always on the right side of the transom (on the outside). I believe (could very well be incorrect) it was early 70's they started using HIN's.....but I'm sure you could Google & find out the exact year it started.

ST

All vessels built after 1972 must have a complete Hull Identification Number before the registration application can be processed. (got that from the GA DNR site)

It will be on a little piece of aluminum that is attached to the top right side of the transom (outside of boat)

russ010 said:
It will be on a little piece of aluminum that is attached to the top right side of the transom (outside of boat)

A lot of boats have them stamped right into the external side of the transom somewhere on the right side of the motor.

doesn't matter now, just gotta take it to get inspected and they will issue me a HIN number.

i figure while i'm waiting i can start measuring and cutting out wood to deck the boat and lay down floors :)

so i pulled the boat off the trailer today and pressure washed it. the boat cleaned up really well. also bought a 1970 evinrude 9.5 pancake motor that was freshly rebuilt for 400 bucks. that thing runs great!

so i'm FINALLY ready to start planning for decking. so my questions for now are:

1. if i'm going to put a deck on the boat, and the boat is wider than the plywood, do i just do it in half sections and bolt the two together with a peice of metal? or is there an easier way to do things?

2. is there any "golden rules" i should know about the bracing i put underneath, or just make sure there's alot of it, and it's sturdy? and what do you guys use for your storage compartments underneath the deck?