Grandpa's 12ft john boats' rebirth

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trailer is all painted up, other than a few touch-ups i will do once I get it put back together. I also hooked up the ligghts yesterday and they are functional. I had a problem with the ground because the tongue of the trailer is removable and I was getting good enough connection between the two parts of the trailer. I just ended up running a ground with a piece pf wire to ensure a good ground. The paint on my trailer hasn't set up the best. I had it warm in the garage while painting, but when I would leave for work I had to put the fire out and it didn't allow my paint to dry enought. Today I have the wood burner going and a space heater from work. I willl probably have to put the heat to it again tomorrow to make sure it sets up hard. My boat is still at the welders.........lone story. All I can say is that I know he is going to be cheap and that he is going to do an excellent job, I don't mind waiting for that. I also got the bearings packed and the hubs all put back together and the axle back on the trailer, bought bearing covers as well. I will be putting the trailer back together today and tomorrow. Using stainless fasteners as much as possible.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,734
gmiller said:
Here are some pictures of my trailer, $200, all it really needs is lights, but I am repacking the bearings, getting bearing covers, and going to re-paint it, it is a little long, the guy I bought it off of hauled a 16ft boat with it, but it will work for now, I can cut the tongue down if I want. I am 90% done with the grinding, going to try and paint it on Thursday. I plan on getting my boat back from the welders this weekend, I know he is going to have it looking great! I will keep you guys posted.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nice. I wouldn't cut down the tongue unless it becomes a problem. That extra length can help at shallow boat launches.

The tongue was a little mangled so I ended up cutting a foot off of it. That was a good point jasper about unloading it at a shallow ramp. I still left myself plenty of trailer for my 12 ft boat.

I have a steel flex question. Should I apply the steel flex before I begin modifying my boat, or shouuld I wait until I am done with the mod to apply. The only reason I was thinking about waiting was because I wanted to be done banging around in the boat before I applied the steel flex. Is that necessary, or will it be to much of a pain to flip the boat over and steel flex with the added weight?

Believe it or not my boat is still at the welders. Almost a month. He made it sound like it would be a snap and now it seems as if he is having a little trouble and that he hasn't done much anyways. It's a bit upsetting. I wish he would have been a little more honest and up front about how long it would take before he took the boat.