Hand or foot trolling motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenisD

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope everyone survived the holidays. I was hoping to get some pros and cons on foot verse hand control trolling motors. I am working on a Lowe 1436 flat bottom that I'm planning to put a small deck up front for storage and probably a seat mount. The plan is for a bow mount TM and I've had good luck with Minn Kota and would probably stick with that brand. I usually like to fish standing rather than sitting so I didn't know if trying to opperate a foot control while standing in a somewhat narrow boat would be nerve racking rather than fun and relaxing. Any input would be appreciated

I started out with a hand controll up front but I did care to stand on my frony deck when it came to setting my hook lol, I enjoyed more in the middle deck to stand but couldn't reach my hand trolling, a few time later a good friend gave me an old OMC foot controll and I like that so much better, I'm very comfy sitting up front setting hooks, I tried standing and operating the foot controll but I think it would be ok if I had a longer pole seat with one of those small seats you lean against(can't think of the name right now) then it would be better. Just my 2 cents on what I like

on a narrow boat i would say more nerve racking that relaxing..But if you step on the switch with the motor in a sharp turn on a higher speed that you are not ready for you could go for a relaxing swim

My two cents!
I have a 14' 48" jon boat with a 50# hand control M/K on the front and I love it. I have also added an extension handle and a hot foot momentary switch so all I have to do is touch the pedal with my foot to move or I can let it run continuously at a slow speed. I have also have had a foot control on bigger bass boats and I like the hand control better.

Latest posts