Harbor Freight boat trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine bought one for his 14ft jon about 3 years ago, seems to be holding up well. He routinely pulls it at 70 mph with 12'' tire upgrade. The only issue he has is no Bearing Buddy will properly fit. The two sizes he`s bought were either a bit too big or a bit too small.

I just ordered one today. Found an online coupon (insure20) got 20% off plus $6.99 shipping. Came to about $288 total,so I figured I'm gonna be hard pressed to find that somewhere else. I'm going to be buying a Alumacraft 1648, and this was the cheapest trailer option for me as I'll be using my car as the tow vehicle. It's supposed to be fit up to a 14ft boat , but I figured I could lengthen the bunks or something to extend it plus I'm planning on upgrading to 12" tires.

I got that same coupon emailed to me. I was waiting for that trailer to go on sale, too, but that coupon is worth it's weight in gold! I plan on ordering one by tomorrow before the deal expires!

We must have started a trend. Looks like they are backordered now. Hopefully yours isn't backordered. Mine has shipped, and I'm just waiting for the tracking info.

DyerBassman said:
Just ordered it today. Couldn't pass up that deal

Examine the frame tubing when you receive it. If the inside is unpainted, you probably want to find a way to prime/paint the inside. While not a HF trailer, I had a painted thin-wall tubing Haulin brand trailer that rusted from the inside out. Never was painted on the inside.

FuzzyGrub said:
DyerBassman said:

Examine the frame tubing when you receive it. If the inside is unpainted, you probably want to find a way to prime/paint the inside. While not a HF trailer, I had a painted thin-wall tubing Haulin brand trailer that rusted from the inside out. Never was painted on the inside.

Out of curiosity, did something bad happen to let you know that it had rusted from the inside out?

Butthead said:
FuzzyGrub said:
DyerBassman said:

Out of curiosity, did something bad happen to let you know that it had rusted from the inside out?

No accidents. Noticed the rust through, and the more I investaged, the less metal I found. ;0

dandabald said:
Butthead said:
Carpeted bunk boards with brackets $50

Where to get the carpeted bunks with brackets? I bought the HF boat trailer & there were no bunks in the kit - need bunks & brackets.

Thanks in advance . . . . .

If you bought the HF trailer it should have came with the brackets and wood pieces. I would recommend buying new wood pieces and making them longer. They only come about 3 feet in length.

I bought this trailer from HF for $279. If you buy this trailer have 3/8" washers on hand. The mods I did to it and the missing bolts cost me an extra $60 plus another $96 to get it registered in Minnesota. I hate the way the factory bunks work with only one bolt holding it. It just didn't look stable when I tested the boat on there. My dad and spent half a day modifying the design. I just started work on my restoration and conversion on the Starcraft, hope to have some pictures up soon.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,781
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,781
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,780
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 1,780
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,780
sith said:
The mods I did to it and the missing bolts cost me an extra $60 plus another $96 to get it registered in Minnesota.

It costs $96 to register a trailer in Minnesota?? I just registered my new trailer in GA for $12, and that included the license plate! You guys get jipped big time up there!

I hear a lot of people say that they were missing bolts, too. I actually ended up with extras, so they must have sent me everyone's missing pieces!

I am a little nervous now after seeing your 12 footer on the trailer. I have an alumacraft 1447 and my trailer will be here thursday. I may have to get a tongue extender. :-(

Is the winch post placement adjustable on the HF trailer? Looks like it could move further up towards the jack so less of the boat hangs off the back.

Dockside85 said:
Is the winch post placement adjustable on the HF trailer? Looks like it could move further up towards the jack so less of the boat hangs off the back.

Anything is adjustable with the right tools. Take this 4Runner, for example:

3.jpg

:mrgreen:

Haha! Seriously though, it doesn't look "adjustable," per se. But I bet a little work with a sawzall and a welder could make it the way you wanted it.

JaxJonBoat said:
I am a little nervous now after seeing your 12 footer on the trailer. I have an alumacraft 1447 and my trailer will be here thursday. I may have to get a tongue extender. :-(

His boat must be a 14' boat. My 12' fits nicely, with the back almost flush with the back of the bunks.

Latest posts