Removing Boat to Work on Trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep that technique works pretty well single-handed. Done it a couple of times to raise the last two boats up off the trailer so I could fine tune the bunks. Elevating the whole rig first with ramps like in your video will help with clearance if you are going to pull they trailer out from under the boat.

Last edited:
My trailer is in great need of some TLC and I want to get the boat off of it and get it ship shape and Bristol fashion, but I need the boat to be off of it for a while. What do you all normally do for this? I assume calling around to places who will somehow store an un-trailered boat but I've looked around and haven't seen anyone offering that. I live in Colorado so it's not like when I was in the south and there were lakes everywhere and boat places in abundance, there are only a few boat shops around here and their yards are fairly small and I only ever see trailered boats on them.

I've thought of getting boat jacks and putting my boat up on them while I fix the trailer but that then ties up my garage for however long that will take (and prevents access to that part of the garage which I always need access to regularly) and I would be a basket of nerves anytime I was near it for fear that it would tip off. I know I need to do this eventually to do some work on my boat but hopefully that's just a weekend at a time.

Currently my only avenues seems to be to buy a new trailer, which is very hard to find used and very expensive new in Colorado, or rent a slip for the duration which is insanely expensive in Colorado with so few lakes with marinas.

It's no John boat, I've got a 350lb boat and 200lb motor to contend with, so not an easy feat to man-handle it.
I'm just a coon-*** from Louisiana, but I've had to drag 100's of lbs off the bed of my truck by chain & by rope, many plenty times. Some things are precious & fragile , others , not so much. Some can drop on the ground , others I put home made stands , saw horses or barrels to keep them high & off the ground.
My point is :
Your trailer has skids the boat rides on, right ? It's use to sliding up & off those skids cleanly. Just set the trailer in front of something you can pull against. (pole, car, tree, 4-wheeler, etc...) tether a rope from the boat to the 'anchor' (tree, pole, 4-wheeler, etc...) and slowly pull away. You can set it on some 8" post, laying on their sides, w/grooves cut in them or on taller stands made the height of the trailer rails, or on the ground for that matter.
You may need a hand or 4 but if you have room in the yard you can store your own boat. The weather shouldn't hurt it, b'c every boat I've ever seen is actually been made for getting wet ?? A tarp would cost less than a storage or other option you mentioned.
I don't mean to offend, but when you don't have money, or, when you are frugal or cheap like me, simple solutions , maybe primitive , are the way I geaux !! I mean, how long could it take to fix the trailer up w/ tender loving care ?? I removed my axle last week , sanded the rust off the whole trailer, welded a new frame pcs on the end and a couple gromets and such, changed out my springs, hubs, barrings, lights & harness and now is ready for paint, ... , all in under 2 weeks. My bosses always told me , 'DON'T OVER THINK IT' !!
That seemed like good advice for 50 yrs now and relieves stress as well. ;)
Good luck , I'm rooting for you,
Sincerely ....................
P.S. remember not to drop the boat on your foot or your buddies foot. take it slow & geaux easy !!

My trailer is in great need of some TLC and I want to get the boat off of it and get it ship shape and Bristol fashion, but I need the boat to be off of it for a while. What do you all normally do for this? I assume calling around to places who will somehow store an un-trailered boat but I've looked around and haven't seen anyone offering that. I live in Colorado so it's not like when I was in the south and there were lakes everywhere and boat places in abundance, there are only a few boat shops around here and their yards are fairly small and I only ever see trailered boats on them.

I've thought of getting boat jacks and putting my boat up on them while I fix the trailer but that then ties up my garage for however long that will take (and prevents access to that part of the garage which I always need access to regularly) and I would be a basket of nerves anytime I was near it for fear that it would tip off. I know I need to do this eventually to do some work on my boat but hopefully that's just a weekend at a time.

Currently my only avenues seems to be to buy a new trailer, which is very hard to find used and very expensive new in Colorado, or rent a slip for the duration which is insanely expensive in Colorado with so few lakes with marinas.

It's no John boat, I've got a 350lb boat and 200lb motor to contend with, so not an easy feat to man-handle it.
This is what I use under my transom lower the tongue all the way down insert and then pick up the bow through the trailer winch eye with a chain fall. It’s what I use for bottom paint and trailer work I hope this helps

Attachments

• 84316CB8-13FD-40C0-A2F2-12A09074FF72.jpeg
    84316CB8-13FD-40C0-A2F2-12A09074FF72.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 0
  • C74B639F-9672-475E-A80A-DE6A365C5E8B.jpeg
    C74B639F-9672-475E-A80A-DE6A365C5E8B.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 0

The thought has crossed my mind before to just anchor the boat somewhere while working on the trailer. I suppose you'd have to be friendly with someone with lakefront property, but this would sure be easy wouldn't it? I've even thought of doing this near the launch if what I need to do I can do in the parking lot in a few hours. Or maybe just high-tail it back home and return later? Sorry if this is a dumb idea. It's pretty quiet at my local launch during the week though. Especially in early spring and early fall.

The thought has crossed my mind before to just anchor the boat somewhere while working on the trailer. I suppose you'd have to be friendly with someone with lakefront property, but this would sure be easy wouldn't it? I've even thought of doing this near the launch if what I need to do I can do in the parking lot in a few hours. Or maybe just high-tail it back home and return later? Sorry if this is a dumb idea. It's pretty quiet at my local launch during the week though. Especially in early spring and early fall.

I have dumped larger boats in the grass and worked on the trailer then back the trailer up to it disconnect the trailer from the truck and just crank the boat back on the trailer.

Stack up some old tires to support the hull, everyone has tires they need to get rid off !!! Or just drive out to an area where no one is around, usually lots of tires laying around, and you would be doing the community a favor!!

Many years (like maybe 40+) ago I left my 22' glass boat at a lake marina over a weekend so I could do some repairs to the trailer. It worked OK because I could do what was needed in a day. I had to pay for the guest slip of course. That boat was just too big and heavy for me to get on/off the trailer in our yard.

If you have lakes nearby that will rent you a slip that actually might be your easiest option (assuming cost isn't too high of course).

Reason why I was thinking this way is because I know somebody who has a currently empty lake house within walking distance. Was thinking I could leave my boat there anchored with a float and save myself a lot of hassle. Only concern is a heavy rain swamping it or somebody messing with it. Neither very likely.

Reason why I was thinking this way is because I know somebody who has a currently empty lake house within walking distance. Was thinking I could leave my boat there anchored with a float and save myself a lot of hassle. Only concern is a heavy rain swamping it or somebody messing with it. Neither very likely.
Buy an extra automatic bilge pump. Ask the property owner if you can run an extension cord to keep battery charged. Pay them something for this, a little goes a long way. Even just the gesture of such.

Good idea, but it never rains here anymore anyhow! Lake is mighty low and no relief in sight.

I do this all the time. Here is an easy method if your boat hangs off the back of the trailer by at least 6".

1. Loosen the winch cable, but do not remove yet. Use a floor jack and blocks of wood under the keel at the transom and lift the back of the boat about 2" off the bunks/rollers
  2. Use a couple of cinderblocks and pieces of 2x material to block up the back corners of the boat..
  3. MOST of the weight of the boat is now supported. See if you can lift the front of the boat up. If you can without hurting yourself, hold it up and have someone pull the trailer out from under it.
  4. If you have a cherry picker, Hook a rope through the bow eye, and make a bridle and lift the front of the boat up. Boat is now off the trailer.
  5. Pull the trailer forward until the axle is in the way, then use a couple of cinderblocks to block the keel as far forward as possible.
  6. Pull the trailer out completely and reattach the cherry picker as extra insurance while you work on the trailer.
Should look like this once you have it up, just substitute cinderblocks and wood for the stands:
20210526_154456.jpg

It may seem daunting the first time, but you have a small, light boat that is pretty easy to deal with.

I think I'm late to this thread, but maybe it will help someone.

I worked in a marina when I was younger, pulled everything from 40 footer's on down to our 12 ft work boat .
we used stands, cement block with wood on top on stern and mid-way on keel as sliding off trailer block up with wood . & on the bigger boats when in position after blocking would pull strap's on Windlass lift once we made sure all was settled and secure ,
Sturdy as all get up and go as we also did frame's for shrink wrapping, did alot of walking around on the boats , when out of water on dry dock, winterizing, doing fall cleanings and compounds & waxs etc. so not a worry if your going to block it up with stands , but my pref, cement blocks and a thick chunk of flat wood ontop both sides rear & block up in center litlle over midway on keel motor can stay on and your good to go fixin your trailer // oh! check with local High school / trades school , They offer free work hands on for training for the students or penny's on dollar for repairs , you get work done as instructor is professional & saves you time to do something else & you have your area to store & get it fixed as it is kept on school grounds untill completed , unless you wish to do work your self?
One thing, stands once in blue moon do have issue of tippin sideways if ground becomes soft around leg end's area's and sink into ground / whereas cement block with wood on-top cover much more square area and keep a more level stand.

Last edited:
I have literally considered having everything ready, new boards for the bunks cut, carpet ready to go, the whole thing, finding a very quiet launch with a dock, launching, tying to dock, knocking the work out in like and hour, then pulling boat back on the trailer.

As Ldubs mentioned, if there is a marina nearby they often offer daily slip rentals. It can be pretty expensive but it offers an easy, safe solution.

Although this isn't an option for many, a two post lift works quite well. Pull the lift pads out and sling it with a heavy strap, front and rear.

I have literally considered having everything ready, new boards for the bunks cut, carpet ready to go, the whole thing, finding a very quiet launch with a dock, launching, tying to dock, knocking the work out in like and hour, then pulling boat back on the trailer.

I would make one of my kids do it while I was out taking a boat ride! :D:D:D

Latest posts