Heffs Epic K.I.S.S. build! Almost finished.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heff

Reaction score
Greetings!
Im new to the forum, and this is my first post. I picked up a 1992 12 foot jon today. The main purpose is to throw it on a rack in the back of my truck, hook up the camper and go fishing with the kids. I looked long and hard and finally found one that I was happy with.

It came with a trolling motor, depth finder, 2 swivel seats with risers, 5 life jackets, wheels, 2 paddles, three takle boxes with a ton of lures and new plastic baits, running lights, and three fishing poles.

Here it is in the garage with the mods about to start.

Paint coming off. I started with the spray aircraft paint remover and it was ok, just stunk and really didnt work too well. So back to the store to buy the gell. It worked much better. A little touch up with the wire disc and all the old paint is gone. I did the rear section, the front seat and the nose of the boat before I had to go in to work. Tomorrow I should be able to finsh stripping the entire boat and getting it in primer.

My goal is to have it 100% ready and in the water by next Thursday. Should be doable unless I get the itch to fish out of it this weekend.

Almost finished. I have to finish the black on one side rail and it will be ready to hit the water.

Holy crap batman, you got more work done then I would have done in 2 years, as a matter of fact, I liked the camo job.
In any case, it looks good, seats might be a bit high for a 12 ft boat but it sorta depends on the weight too.
Tim

Thanks Tim.
It isn't exactly perfect but fishable none the less. I'll have to see how it handles with the seats that high. The risers came with the boat so I used them. Good thing is, if it is too tippy then I can simply take them off and lower the seat.
I kinda liked the Camo too, but the Mrs. Said no Camo. I'm saving up to by a supreme\shawnee next year, this will cure the itch until then.

I can tell ya from experience you'll need to lower those seats. My wife turned us over in a 12' boat like that and I had both seats mounted flush to the benches on swivels. She had made a cast towards a tree and said she was hung up. So I eased the boat up into the tree and grabbed her line and reached over the side to see where the lure was hung. Turned out it was hung on a limb and a largemouth was hung on it. I said "You've got a fish on". She then spun the seat around and leaned over the side saying "Let me see". Next thing I know both our butts were in the water. It wasn't to hard for me to get back in the boat I'd been thrown out of one before but she was 6 months pregnant at the time so getting her back in was a different story. :lol: :lol: That was 31 years ago and we was just talkin about this the other day with our kids at a cookout we were having everybody had a pretty good laugh out of this one.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351634#p351634 said:
WVfishnfool » 07 May 2014, 23:49[/url]"]I can tell ya from experience you'll need to lower those seats. My wife turned us over in a 12' boat like that and I had both seats mounted flush to the benches on swivels. She had made a cast towards a tree and said she was hung up. So I eased the boat up into the tree and grabbed her line and reached over the side to see where the lure was hung. Turned out it was hung on a limb and a largemouth was hung on it. I said "You've got a fish on". She then spun the seat around and leaned over the side saying "Let me see". Next thing I know both our butts were in the water. It wasn't to hard for me to get back in the boat I'd been thrown out of one before but she was 6 months pregnant at the time so getting her back in was a different story. :lol: :lol: That was 31 years ago and we was just talkin about this the other day with our kids at a cookout we were having everybody had a pretty good laugh out of this one.
I plan on taking it out by myself to see how it handles. Im 5'11" and 195 lbs (down from 220) and will be fishing with my 8 year old son. Hopefully the center of gravity wont be too far out of whack. The good thing is the seats can easily be dropped.

Make sure you both wear your life vests. We got a 12ft jon boat at the club, very tippy, about 4 out of 5 people refuse to use it even on our little pond. Verify it has flotation in it too.

I gotta tell ya, being single, I do not understand all the wifey stuff married guys tell me about but I do often envy the advantages of a good wife.

Tim

First boat putting was a success. And we caught 5 trout before leaving for baseball practice. I have a 9.9hp motor that I rebuilt this weekend that I will run on it tomorrow

Latest posts