help engine trouble new to boating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SO*CAL

Reaction score
new to boating just got a old 6hp johnson and a new gas can the fits perfect but i dont know to give it gaswhen i start it ? where do i put the gears i tired to start it it worked for about 30 secends then i turned it off it wont start agian is can some one explain proper way to set and start motor please help thanks [-o< #-o [-o<

I am assuming that if it is a 6, it is very likely a mid 60s or later, when fuel pumps were common. Thereby, you have a single line fuel hose, with a primer bulb. Go ahead and replace your gas tank with a modern plastic one. Those old metal ones are trouble, and only really useful when a pressure tank is needed.

What gears are you talking about? The shift gears? In that case, put it in neutral.

For cold starting, hook up the fuel line (make sure the arrow on the primer bulb is facing the right way), then squeeze the bulb until it gets solid. Pull out the choke, and commence to pulling. If it doesn't start, and it seems to be flooded, push the choke back in, and give it WOT, then pull it. As soon as it fires, twist the tiller right back down to idle, or it could runaway.

What is the model number of the engine? I need that to find the year, to know a few of the specifics.

All motor crank a little different once you do like Bassboys says.I had a 5hp that once i got it cranked i would have to pull the choke in and out a few time because it would try to die.But i was just thanking the gas tank I had a vent in the top of the gas cap you have to open it up to let it vent or it will run a little and quit.What it does is vapor lock and would not crank back until the vent on the cap was open.

Hope this helps :)

it is working now thanks!! =D> bassboy got one more question i messed up and put 25;1 oil to gas and now my engine is throwing a lot of smoke what do you think is the problem?

Latest posts