Help !!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kouterbrown

Reaction score
:x I have a 1448 weldbilt F 5 1/2 manual jack plate 40hp tohatsu tiller M40D not the TLDI, 15p s/s prop just had borel weld trim tabs on it and it still bounces violently have lowered jack plate. bottom of boat level & cavitation plate level sits about 1/2" above the bottom of the boat. going to run today & installing a tach any help would help thanks.

once the cavitation plate is above the bottom of the hull, the motor must be trimmed perfectly, or it's going to "porpoise" (bounce)

the solution is to lower the motor more, and/or add weight to the front of the boat

if you're driving into the wind, it's going to porpoise more than if you're driving with the wind

you may need to adjust the trim of the motor, if your motor has power tilt/trim, just keep fooling w/ the trim up/down until it settles. if your motor doesn't have power tilt/trim, you'll need to adjust the pin on the transom bracket so that the motor is closer to the transom when the motor is all the way down

weights, moving the battery, moving the gas tank, putting a passenger up there, are all ways people add weight to the front of the boat to keep it from bouncing

a 40hp motor on a 14' hull though, you've already got more weight on the back than what is probably recommended by the manufacturer of the hull, so there's only so much you can do with trim, you need more bow weight

I agree with the above comments as well.

One more option is float pods.

But that is a large motor for a 14ft ESPECIALLY with the setback of a jackplate. I think either reduce HP (stern weight), remove jackplate or add float pods.

Personally I don't think that lowering the motor to put the cav plate below the hull will create enough drag to keep the bow down.

Make sure there isn't a rocker in the hull, switch to a Yamaha black stainless prop, and put your gas tank up front.

Thanks guys i moved the battery & gas tank up front lifted the motor all the way up on the jackplate had trim tabs welded on and started testing lowered the jackplate 3/8" boat runs fine top speed with me 315# YETI ?# daughter 90# was 32 MPH this is with nose cone on lower unit about 1-1/4" below bottom of boat & still have good water PSI.