Here goes nothing...(Update 4/17)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fender66 said:
The only power tools I have are a jigsaw and a drill, so I have to keep things fairly simple.

Or use this as an excuse to buy some new toys. :mrgreen:

Yep bought a cool swival head rivet gun the other day so I could put a bungie strap on the transom saver.

Well, I got a few hours this past weekend to spend working on the boat.

Things I accomplished:
Mounted motor
New LED trailer lights and wiring with waterproof connections
Mounted spare tire holder on trailer
Finished framing front and back decks (except for a few bolts and screws)

I forgot my camera so I didn’t get any pictures (I’ll get some next time), but I did snap this one with my phone of the back deck.

BackDeck.jpg

My plan is to have one hatch in the center for the six-gallon fuel tank. Do you guys think ½” plywood will be strong enough to span that gap? It’s something like 19” x 16”.

Any other suggestions before I start screwing this stuff down next time I go back?

Do you guys think 1/2" plywood be be strong enough for that large center hatch :?:

Drewgill said:
Do you guys think 1/2" plywood be be strong enough for that large center hatch :?:

I think it will work...but, I don't know what kind of weight it will carry if you're standing on it. You could always reinforce it from underneath. Maybe even add a thin layer of aluminum to help sturdy it....but probably not necessary.

engineering note on your knee brace's diagonal member: this piece will take a compression load while under power, but you used a piece of flat stock. flat stock is strong under tension, but not very strong in compression as it will bow to one side or the other. you should replace it with a piece of angle stock or T channel which will be much stronger. it will fit right into your design. otherwise looks good!

Thanks fender. I really want to stick with the ½” (because that’s what I have). I was thinking about coming up with something to brace it a little.

acabtp said:
engineering note on your knee brace's diagonal member: this piece will take a compression load while under power, but you used a piece of flat stock. flat stock is strong under tension, but not very strong in compression as it will bow to one side or the other. you should replace it with a piece of angle stock or T channel which will be much stronger. it will fit right into your design. otherwise looks good!

Ah, makes sense! I was really just thinking about tension. Oddly enough, my original plan included a piece of angle there. #-o

Thanks!

acabtp said:

Wouldn't it only take compression if you're running in reverse?

Ictalurus said:
Wouldn't it only take compression if you're running in reverse?
nope... the opposite.
when going backwards, the motor is pulling the transom astern, and the diagonal member transmits that tension force and pulls on the floor. when moving forward, the motor is pushing the transom ahead towards the front of the boat, and the diagonal member is in compression as it transmits that load and pushes on the floor.