Hey Guys ...new here , just bought a 15.5 fisher w/ issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hireman

Reaction score
Found what I thought was a great deal ( still probably is) 15.5 Fisher flat bottom, casting platform up front, solid removable bottom floors , new edge foot controlled motor, new color hummingbird gps fish finder, 2 new batteries and dual bank onboard charger. Picked it up Friday night , hit the lake Saturday morn and it leaked so much water inside it took almost 4 minutes to drain out the plug hole on the boat ramp. Guy told me over and over it doesn't leak???

Filled it with water today and found a small screw through the floor of the boat from the sub-floor structure for the casting deck. My question is what the best way to repair it? what materials should be used? Anyone know of a shop north of Atlanta that could do the repair? The boats heavy so its not like picking it up and throwing it upside down to fix. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated guys!

Most of the guys on here use 5200, jb weld for aluminum or other types. Best case scenario would have it welded by someone that does aluminum.

Others will chime in I am sure.

I lived in Cumming for 8 years and spent a lot of time on Lake Lanier in the 90's, before Cumming grew like crazy.

Ed

Welding a hole is always the best way but not always the easiest. Remove the screw and replace it with one that won’t go through the hull first, of course. :) Then use a ballpeen hammer to tap the metal down and even possibly create a concave dimple. Use a SS wire wheel or sander to clean the area completely and then mix up a batch of JB Weld. Trowel that into the wound and when set sand it smooth and paint it. Go fishing.

I've successfully plugged extraneous holes in the transoms of boats I've had using a bolt and regular washer with a neoprene washer sandwiched between the outer washer and hull. I've also had good luck with JB weld, too.

A bilge pump may be in order. Even if your boat doesn't leak a drop, a bilge pump is handy to pump out the water that enters when you forget to insert a plug before launching (know this one from experience, or experiences)!

Cheers,

Scott

Hireman
Youtube has a lot of methods, here's one with rivets;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAWPo8F-gXc
Good luck with Your new boat.

Steve A W

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363597#p363597 said:
hireman » Yesterday, 18:35[/url]"]Found what I thought was a great deal ( still probably is) 15.5 Fisher flat bottom, casting platform up front, solid removable bottom floors , new edge foot controlled motor, new color hummingbird gps fish finder, 2 new batteries and dual bank onboard charger. Picked it up Friday night , hit the lake Saturday morn and it leaked so much water inside it took almost 4 minutes to drain out the plug hole on the boat ramp. Guy told me over and over it doesn't leak???

Filled it with water today and found a small screw through the floor of the boat from the sub-floor structure for the casting deck. My question is what the best way to repair it? what materials should be used? Anyone know of a shop north of Atlanta that could do the repair? The boats heavy so its not like picking it up and throwing it upside down to fix. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated guys!

PO swore mine did not leak a drop too, he lied, did not believe it when he told me. No major damage to mine so I was happy. Agree bilge pump is your best friend, make sure it has an auto switch too. Very handy especially if docking your boat overnight and it is raining. Peace of mind has no equal. Just a suggestion, get those batterys in boxes for safety sake.
Tim

thanks for the suggestions guys, found a guy who welded up the hole, been on the water twice now, not a drop in it. Still looking to get a bilge pump just in case...lol!

Latest posts