Holmes 14' Valco project! Edited with lots of pics!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good on your thread.

Was in home depot scouting around for ideas today. Found what I think may be a cheaper alternative to angle iron if anyone is interested! They sell 6 foot lengths of anodized aluminum stair noses that seem to be the exact same as their 1/16th angle and have one inch lips. The price is only $9 for them.

Jdholmes said:
Looking good on your thread.

Was in home depot scouting around for ideas today. Found what I think may be a cheaper alternative to angle iron if anyone is interested! They sell 6 foot lengths of anodized aluminum stair noses that seem to be the exact same as their 1/16th angle and have one inch lips. The price is only $9 for them.
Good find. I work in a metal shop, thank god. I have been able to get lots of material for free. Did you see the piece I formed up for the back of the transom? You figure anything out today? Get anything done?

Yah your piece looks awesome. I have only ever worked with wood, so I am not a little like a fish out of water with all this metal stuff. I wish I had more experience working with it.

Got a very little done today. Put some JB weld on the top part of my transom support bracket, where it was cracked a little. And the holes that I miss drilled in the bottom of it I filled with JB as well, to try and fix that. Also put some contact cement in the gaps of the transom board and clamped it again.

The next couple days I should be able to push out some more work. Will try to get the transom sealed and installed, vacuum it out and spray paint the inside. Bought the spar urethane today and already have the self etching primer.

I have done a lot of thinking trying to figure out if I want to deck from the front to the rear of the middle seat, to the front of the middle seat or just do to the back of the front seat. The other idea I had was to do a high deck to the back of the front seat and then cut out half of the middle seat and do a low deck that goes from the back of the front seat to the front of the rear seat. I just haven't been able to decide on a plan!

Jdholmes said:
Yah your piece looks awesome. I have only ever worked with wood, so I am not a little like a fish out of water with all this metal stuff. I wish I had more experience working with it.

Got a very little done today. Put some JB weld on the top part of my transom support bracket, where it was cracked a little. And the holes that I miss drilled in the bottom of it I filled with JB as well, to try and fix that. Also put some contact cement in the gaps of the transom board and clamped it again.

The next couple days I should be able to push out some more work. Will try to get the transom sealed and installed, vacuum it out and spray paint the inside. Bought the spar urethane today and already have the self etching primer.

I have done a lot of thinking trying to figure out if I want to deck from the front to the rear of the middle seat, to the front of the middle seat or just do to the back of the front seat. The other idea I had was to do a high deck to the back of the front seat and then cut out half of the middle seat and do a low deck that goes from the back of the front seat to the front of the rear seat. I just haven't been able to decide on a plan!
That jb weld isnt going to hold up. Boats flex at a different rate then the jb weld, what happens is it will crack out. I tried jb weld where the top of my transom was cracked....also tried it where the rivits hold the seat to the stern. Both cracked out. I tried a putty epoxy as well, no luck. I would use the 3m 5200, its strong and it flexes. You should have grinded the back side of the rivit as I suggested...

I am not too worried about it, those top two bolts won't going to make or break it now with a nice strong transom.

I tried to cut the bottom of the rivets with my dremel wheel but it wasn't getting in nice enough to do a clean job and I worried that it was actually going to cut into the boat and be worse than drilling it out...usually I get a nice clean job with a drill. Worst case senario I will use bigger bolts in the bottom like a 1/4 or so inch instead of the 3/16 rivets.

Got it primed and started coating the tranom. Here are the pics.

Odd thing - now that the primer is dry, a lot of it has a dark dusty residue that you can wipe away with your finger on it...what is that?

Attachments

• IMG_3723.JPG
    IMG_3723.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 965
  • IMG_3724.JPG
    IMG_3724.JPG
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 965
  • IMG_3725.JPG
    IMG_3725.JPG
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 965
That makes sense, thanks. I probably should have sprayed it in the parking lot and then pushed it back in the garage to dry...there was a lot of floating fumes going on.

Yea its overspray....be sure to wipe the boat again before you add the second coat. I pressure washed mine then wiped real well with a rag. Lookin good!

Well I wiped it down with acetone and a cloth...think I will do the floor with bedliner tonight...maybe.

Haha! Thanks! I will post pics of how the berliner came out tomorrow.

My wife told me to slow down till we get a little more cash, so the next steps might be a week or two.

I did get the transom finished though...not bolted in though and the Bedliner looks and feels like it is going to be great!

So I think design wise for the decking, which I have been spending a lot of time mulling over..,,I think my original plan has changed.

I was going to just do an elevated casting deck on the front most part and keep the original floor on the rest of it, just flatten it.

Thing is, I really think a live well is going to be important to have for me. So I thought of doing the cool thing and putting it in front of th middle seat. When I put one there to check for size it just seemed to take up so much space that there was no way to get around it conveniently...it became an obstruction and seemed like it would be a pain in the butt.

The only way I can figure to make it convenient is to carry the casting deck to the back of the middle seat so the live well is built into the floor.

If you can think of any ideas let me know!

I also was considering doing the live well with the bottom part of an outdoor Rubbermaid garbage can instead of the cooler...the reason I am considering this is because round is better than rectangle, I have read. Just a thought...but if I do that I don't know how I would keep the water from sloshing around...

Got my 5200 today for the seams and holes in the back of the hull. They put waaaaaay to many holes into the transom for my liking.

I was going to just put 5200 in the screw holes and be done with it, but I have heard that it is not the best thing to do, as it isn't meant to be a gap filler...

I was thinking of using some kind of metal cap to go in the hole and then putting the 5200 in to hold it there? Good idea?

Jdholmes said:
Got my 5200 today for the seams and holes in the back of the hull. They put waaaaaay to many holes into the transom for my liking.

I was going to just put 5200 in the screw holes and be done with it, but I have heard that it is not the best thing to do, as it isn't meant to be a gap filler...

I was thinking of using some kind of metal cap to go in the hole and then putting the 5200 in to hold it there? Good idea?
I would use tinners rivits in the holes. The kind you mushroom the shank after inserting it in the hole. A little 5200 should help as well. You can then grind it down a bit so transom boards can flush out.

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Getting ready for Christmas and family coming in sucking the coffers dry is what has been happening. So hard to make progress without cash. ;)

I have to get pics of my finished transom and truck liner though.

Also a guy is selling a couple seat swivels for five bucks on craigslist so I am going to probably snag those today with a couple extra fishing poles.

Also got a huuuuuuge deal on some tackle at a yard sale couple weeks back, I will post a pic of it up here with the other ones.

How is your progress?

Jdholmes said:
Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Getting ready for Christmas and family coming in sucking the coffers dry is what has been happening. So hard to make progress without cash. ;)

I have to get pics of my finished transom and truck liner though.

Also a guy is selling a couple seat swivels for five bucks on craigslist so I am going to probably snag those today with a couple extra fishing poles.

Also got a huuuuuuge deal on some tackle at a yard sale couple weeks back, I will post a pic of it up here with the other ones.

How is your progress?
Doing real good ill post some pictures later on...glad to hear everything is going smooth. Ill be waiting to see your progress.