How are the G3, Gator Tough Series, all welded boats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwew

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I last posted. I been ill for a while but the good thing is I made a full recovery.

Back in July 2012 I posted that I sold my Alumacraft Crappie Jon Jr. I also posted that I was thinking of buying a G3 Eagle 145 PF. Well, the G3 Eagle 145 PF is no longer made but I noticed that the G3 1448 PF is the same boat except for the paint and seat cushions. I am thinking of buying one but I would like to know if anyone here has been around one of these that can share some info on this boat.

Thanks,

My uncle has one of those but all i know is it was real stable and quick with a 30hp thats all i know and lots of fun :D

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is great knowing that it scoots along pretty good and it seems stable. I guess I did not write enough in detail what I am looking for. I am looking for feedback on construction of the boat. Are they built well? Do they hold up to every day use? I understand they have a lifetime warranty on the hull for the original purchaser. And my understanding is the company is owned by Yamaha and my thinking is the company will be around for a long time. I guess I should of wrote if anyone can give feedback on the all welded Gator Tough Series. If anyone has a Gator Tough Series boats I would like to hear feedback.

Thanks

I have a 1652 g3 sc. Only had it out a couple times and I did buy used but I love it so far. The previous owner left it outside so the paint has faded, the boat rides awesome for a all welded jon

They use a lot of plywood for structural components (transom, under the bow cap, even inside the rear bench seat). Would be reason enough for me not to buy one for that alone.

That said, they are fairly solid otherwise. I'm not a fan of how they crimp and bend the ribs, instead of miter and weld, but it doesn't seem to be a weak point. Generally speaking, the welds are good, and everything is fairly consistent.

Thanks for posting guys,

Well, i just purchased the G3 1448 PF with factory trailer.
It is a new leftover and I am very pleased with the deal I got. The dealer has a great group of people working there. Great customer service. I hope to have the boat in my possession by the end of the month. I feel it is a huge step up from what I had a couple years ago. Once I get it I will post pictures.
The boat will be stored indoors so it should last a long time. Probably will be around longer the me.
I believe G3 has one of the best warranties available. So I am not to concerned about the wood in the boat. I had My alumacraft T-12s for 24 years before I got the crappie jon jr. and never had problems with the wood on neither of those boats

I just read that G3 had problems with pressure treated lumber eating holes through transoms. :shock: I guess this was a major issue a while back. I am glad I did not purchase the used 2004 G3 1448 PF that I found earlier this month. My understanding is this issue has been corrected.

The boat will be starting its journey to the east this morning. The boat delivery company delivered a boat near where my boat is so it will be cost savings for them and myself. When you use a delivery company make sure they are insured to cover the whole cost of the boat. I figure I will have it in my possession some time next week.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349574#p349574 said:
hwew » 21 Apr 2014, 21:38[/url]"]I just read that G3 had problems with pressure treated lumber eating holes through transoms. :shock: I guess this was a major issue a while back. I am glad I did not purchase the used 2004 G3 1448 PF that I found earlier this month. My understanding is this issue has been corrected.
It is amazing that any company would not know about using pressure treated wood with aluminum. Pretty hard to believe!

I love my 03 1860 and have had no issues w corrosion anywhere on my boat. I researched and compared many brands of jon boats for several years before buying my used boat in 07 and it may not be the very best, but for the price G3s are hard to beat. They are tough/well built and perform well. Mine has wood under the bow deck apparently to help anchor trolling motor mounts and sturdy the deck and it looks like quality 3/4" marine plywood from what I can see, not pressure treated wood. I assume the wood in the transom is the same marine plywood and there is really no way for the wood inside the boat to get wet unless the motor mounting bolts are not sealed or the boat is swamped or fills w water. My motor weighs almost #400 and my 11 year old transom is still rock solid w no flexing at all. I think you'll like that boat a lot!

This is good news, thanks for the info. I called G3 a few times about corrosion and the latest I been told that it was not that many that had the problem. I was told most of the ones that had the issues were ones that were not maintained after running in salt water. I was corrected by G3 mentioning that marine grade plywood was used. Not pressure treated lumber. I don't no the difference, so I guess I was wrong mentioning pressure treated. Sorry if I scared anyone with false into.

I did get good news that my boat should be delivered Monday evening or Tuesday morning.

It's been a while but it's been worth the wait.

Latest posts