How essential is a fish finder?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahab -

A lot of good info, I thank you for that. If I don't win the awesome Lowrance contest (which I'm sure is a stretch), I'll start doing some comparison shopping for lower end models that have the features that you mentioned.

I guess I'm willing to buy another gadget, say spending $100 +/-, but I know that I won't be buying a $300+ unit any time soon. :wink:

Get a used model then with better pixels and such

The low end units will not show the thermocline and will not really read well while trolling

I can look on the SW sites for you - the bottom end for most offshore guys is about $2,000

There are often some "outdated" units that the guys dump cheap

you should seriously consider picking up a couple scotty "laketroller" downriggers. they clamp on to the side of the boat,no drilling holes,and the're usually under a hundred bucks. fishfinders also help in following the shoal of a lake. its not so important with spinning gear,but trolling a wet fly you will slay fish all day long.

azekologi said:
Ahab -

A lot of good info, I thank you for that. If I don't win the awesome Lowrance contest (which I'm sure is a stretch), I'll start doing some comparison shopping for lower end models that have the features that you mentioned.

I guess I'm willing to buy another gadget, say spending $100 +/-, but I know that I won't be buying a $300+ unit any time soon. :wink:
Like was mentioned you will want to go used. Also go with a black and white unit...imo for a used black and white unit in that price range I would be looking for a Lowrance X125 or X135. Both pretty good units....I bought a used X135 myself just haven't used it yet.....for that matter both my units are used and black and white. The other one is a LCX 15 M\T

Great info guys. Also, when you find that used unit on Craig's list, do some research on the transducer as well.

A 20 degree beam will read the bottom area about 1/3 of the depth.
A 60 deg beam reads an area equal to the depth.
A 90 deg beam reads an area twice the depth.
Each has a specific use and I encourage looking them up on the different sonar forums.

For us flat's fishermen, these are not going to be of much use in 2-3 feet of water. This is where
Side scan (humminbird) and structure scan (Lowrance, Sitex and others) have the advantage of showing
up to 150' on either side. I have to add that all this width needs a large screen ($$$)to see all that data.
Jerry :)

Latest posts