How many amp hours

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcgreat

Reaction score
If I am going to be using my boat electric only how many amp hours in batteries do you think I need for a days use? The boat is 14ft long 36" wide and will be using 30 thrust lb trolling motor on the back. I dont want to get out in the water and have to row back if I can at all avoid it. Thanks in advance

Gary

Tough one to answer because If it is windy, or if you are in a river, you are moving around allot, you will burn out your battery quicker. I always say get the biggest you can afford and a cheap battery meter and you are good to go. In my basshunter I could get 7-8 hours with no problems in small ponds with light wind.

I would get atleast a 29 series battery if you're only going to run one battery. I've got 2 29's set up parallel controlling a 40lb foot control on my jon... I can go all over a 900acre lake in a days use and still have 85% of battery left when I get home to charge it at night. I'm not sure how many amp hours there are, I just know the bigger the better!

Thank you guys, You are so quick with the replys. From what I looked up Russ group 29s are about 130 amp hours each. So I am figuring if I stack three or four 24's in parallel I should be good. Thanks again guys.

Are you sure you want to add the weight of 3-4 24s?

I've got a 1236 and I mounted 2 batteries in the center bench for the front trolling motor, then I have 1 29 in the rear for a 50lb hand control TM that I use to get me from place to place in addition to the 40lb FC up front.

I will probaly start with two and then go from there. I get 24s pretty cheap so that has alot to do with using 24s. Eventually I will get my outboard installed then I wont have to worry about it that much, but I am tired of fishing from shore and I need to get out and fish. :)

Thats the plan Russ. God willing I will be on the water this weekend. Shoulod be nice here. Thanks for all the great info guys, I have learned so much in the past few months soon I will be modding my own boat.

Gary

Good luck Gary :beer:

This will be the first weekend in 2 months that I haven't fished, but I'll probably be sitting up in a tree since I'll be at my parents house in SC where the big bucks roam!

Typically, a boat battery has a capacity of 70 to 85 amp hours. To calculate the battery's amp-hour reading, divide the battery's watt-hours by its voltage. Alternately, check for the information on a sticker attached to the model's surface or in the user manual for the item.

Ummm.....James? You replied to a 14+ year old thread. (Just an FYI.)

Roger

I would just get a 27 or 29 series battery.
They are heavy and since in my experience I don't keep running my trolling motor continuously, ( I usually just get to my spot and anchor and fish, and then only run it again to change spots or to take it back to the dock)
It always lasts all day.
I run a 55 lb. Trolling motor on a 14 Foot Mirrocraft.
Amp hours are 109
Never had an issue.
Of course I fully charge my battery before every trip and I don't go out in adverse conditions like winds above 15 mph.

Interesting thread revival. Now all the discussions are about LiPo batteries. I absolutely love my pair of Ionic 60ah batteries. They weigh nothing in the front of the boat and run my 24v troller all day including in GPS anchor mode for many hours at a time and still get back to shore with over 80% life remaining. I can't imagine going back to the days of running a pair of 29s and placing one in the front and one in the back for better weight distribution and limping back to the bank at about 50% with a much smaller motor while toting an extra 100lbs+