how much wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cntryislandboy

Reaction score
i can't count all the ideas ya'll have giving me on here with all the mods. i was just curious how much wood you guys use, i know the length of the boat comes into play. i got a 12ft and was taking some measurements and am thinking to make a floor, front casting deck and just cover the rear compartment with the batter area that i might be able to get by with a sheet and half of ply wood and and maybe 5 to 6 2x4s uless there is something better than a 2x4 to use. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

anyone know how to move this post i meant to post it under the jon and v boat conversion and modification

not sure as how to move but some here will know how.

Welcome to Tinboats.The best site on the net for info about small/big jon boats..............

Welcome Aboard! A lot of the members will use 2x2's instead of 2x4's to keep the weight down.

You've posted in the correct place for now, as we're just talking about modding. Once you start your mods and have some pics (we love pics :) ), we'll move it to the conversion forum. Thanks for joing TB!

The best way is to sketch out your idea and then calculate take off what you will need. Depending on what you are going to do will be the determining factor of your BOM. For example, I used three pieces of 15/32" ply and one of 1/4" ply. I could have used two pieces of 15/32" ply but I didn't want to splice a deck, I wanted a solid piece, so I used another piece of wood. more waste and more money, but easier for me in the long run and my choice of building materials.

Look at some of the mods and how they have done their framing, with joist clips and stuff, lay your framing out on graph paper and then just calculate it all out.

thanks for the tips guys, think i will take the advice and start measuring and go from there, about the only thing i can draw is stick people, but i can really draw it in my head and then slowly put it together in the physical form. think i will defiantly go with the 2x2 or 2x1 deponding on what spot and what function the support is doing and keep the 2x4 to a min if any at all.

Latest posts