how should i cook my bass

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassinChris

Reaction score
I was wondering what the best way is that i should cook largemouth bass. I always catch and release my bass but i wanna try one, so looking for advice.

fillet it, roll it in egg or milk, bread it with cornmeal or any other fish breading, fry it in oil .. bass is okay eating, not as good as other species (walleye, pan fish, etc.), but fried in breading, they're good.

BassinChris said:
I was wondering what the best way is that i should cook largemouth bass. I always catch and release my bass but i wanna try one, so looking for advice.
Roll em in cornmeal, put your favorite sauce on em, put em on your cooking
board, cook em at 250 degrees for 30 min., let em cool a little and then throw em away
and eat the board!! Yum!!!

An old one but a good one!!
Actually I like fried Largemouth Bass but it is much funner to catch one...
Twistedline

Large mouth is very good to eat. I think the key is to wash the meat until there is NO blood visible in the meat with ice cold water. If you fillet trim the ribs and belly meat as well as the brownish fatty stripe down the center. Keep the fish cold even in the livewell if possible or the meat tends to soften. Cook it like you would any other white fish. Or just throw it back so I can catch and eat it. :lol:

I ALWAYS SOAK MINE IN SALT WATER SOLUTION B4 COOKING FOR A COUPLE HOURS OR OVERNIGHT IT I LIKE IT WITH BUTTER AND ONIONS, I LOVE BASS, NO CATCH AND RELEASE HERE, I PRACTICE CATCH AND COOK!! UNLESS TEY ARE HUGE THEN I LET EM GO :D

Cold water in a bowl with a TBS or 2 of vinegar wash will get them nice and clean. Cuts and removes all the blood from the fillets too.

Oh yeah. forgot to mention salt water. I'll have to try the vinegar, thanks Fender. I put the fillets in cold salt water and soak them in the fridge over night if possible and rinse and change the water before freezing.

Devilmutt, hey man I have thrown back a few hundred bass this season and only harvested about 15. It in my opinion is fine to harvest bass in small numbers. And they are delicious!

Yeah, I know. I have no idea how they taste, and no plans to find out.

I know people keep them, I choose to release them all. Not a big deal, if it was I guess they would have a year around closed season.

devilmutt said:
Yeah, I know. I have no idea how they taste, and no plans to find out.

I know people keep them, I choose to release them all. Not a big deal, if it was I guess they would have a year around closed season.

hey man if i lived where you do i would prob be eatin walleye anyhow :D actually the only bass i come across is by accident, im usualy out for tastier fish anyhow