How to adjust free play in steering wheel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRB357

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, I have about 4-5” of free play in my steering wheel. It is a cable not hydraulic. Any advice on how to reduce that?

Best to contact the steering cable & helm maker ... but how are you measuring that? They are gear driven, so yes there will be some 'slop' when switching directions ...

Sounds like a lot of play probably due for new cables or a new helm. You can go over all the linkages to make sure they are all tight and not what's causing so much play. Do you know if it's a teleflex system?

Gonna take some investigation to see where or what is causing the play. Many different types of steering on the market over the years, so giving a definative answer can't be done. If you system is old, might be time for a new one, some can't be fixed. Wish I had better news...

Gonna take some investigation to see where or what is causing the play. Many different types of steering on the market over the years, so giving a definative answer can't be done. If you system is old, might be time for a new one, some can't be fixed. Wish I had better news...

Not sure, but cable says Ultra Flex US. Says the length etc. Seems to be the Teleflex style. At the helm when I remove the tube protector, the end of cable moves about 4” before the motor starts turning.

Did you check to see if the "hair pin" clip is in place? It holds the end of the cable inside the rotary helm, keeping it stationary.

Not sure, but cable says Ultra Flex US. Says the length etc. Seems to be the Teleflex style. At the helm when I remove the tube protector, the end of cable moves about 4” before the motor starts turning.
I think the end of your cable that is inside the helm unit should have a "spring" wound around it. This spring intersects with the gear which moves the cable when turned. Seems like maybe your spring has been stretched. Pull that pin out (that holds casing in helm unit) and turn the wheel so that it cable comes out of the helm and see what it looks like.

I think the end of your cable that is inside the helm unit should have a "spring" wound around it. This spring intersects with the gear which moves the cable when turned. Seems like maybe your spring has been stretched. Pull that pin out (that holds casing in helm unit) and turn the wheel so that it cable comes out of the helm and see what it looks like.
Yeah it’s a cable with a spring around it. It actually “looks” good. I have two screws that release the casings. One going in and one coming out. When I grab the cable coming out, hold it, turn wheel with other hand, there is no slack at the wheel. So I’m guessing the cable/spring has stretched. I ended up leaving about 4” more of the cable sticking out past helm, then tightened two bolts holding casing. Then I reset steering wheel to center. Went on test ride and it feels the same. Still has about 4-5” of free play.

Other named brands are similar in price or more, depending on where you shop.

But either your gearbox is going bad or your cable is badly damaged. Either way, REPLACE IT. Your safety isn't worth it.

4-5" of wheel turn or 4-5" of the actual cable moving? If it's 4-5" of cable, that's a lot of slack. There will be some slack in the wheel as you change direction. Did you check to make sure the pin is in the cable? My helm is 2 years old and has a little slack, my old helm was 20 years old and had just a little more. Here's the pin.

helm_pin.jpg

Yeah I don’t like it very much. It’s a little sketchy. I’m trying to figure out what the problem is. I like my stuff working correctly. Even thinking about trying a hydraulic steering kit. I see them for $440 on Amazon.

After 17 years pretty sure the cable is stretched out. So I could apply that $150 towards a hydraulic steering kit.

If it's only the cable, that's an inexpensive fix by itself. If it's just the helm, that's also not expensive. There's really no need for a hydraulic steering setup if you don't have twins or a big single engine. Take some pictures of your setup showing where the play is and people should be able to figure out what the real problem is and help out.

I agree, shouldn’t need hydraulic steering on a 90. I think I’m getting new helm and cable. Just start fresh with both. I can’t order a cable until I figure out if I’m moving the center console forward. Cleaning out the pivot tube will help a lot too.

Well I replaced the cable with a new one. The tilt tube actually looked great. Looked like a clean gun barrel. I cleaned it out anyway and lubed the new rod both inside tube and out and installed everything. Still have the 4-5” of play and steering feels even stiffer now.

So I guess the helm is the only thing left. It’s the rotary type. I just would like to understand how this helm works bc there isn’t any noticeable binds, grinding, looseness, or anything that would lead to me feeling like something is wrong with the helm. Except for the massive amount of play! Ha!
View attachment IMG_4318.mov

While you have some slop/ play it is not as bad as I thought from your description. A new unit will help, but not remove all of it. Can't tell in the video if the motor was moving when the wheel is turned. Not sure why, but have not saw any units that are adjustable for play, normally just replace.