How to fix this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sell the boat and trailer at a huge loss and while your at it you might as well get rid of the tow vehicale. You may even want to sell your house devorice your wife; then goo out and pay top dollar for brand new ones! That would be a good fix!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338720#p338720 said:
bcbouy » 15 Jan 2014, 10:07[/url]"]i'm pretty sure if you read the question carefully 23 mako isn't looking for a nasa fix.just a simple repair.its just a trailer plug.
I'm pretty sure that if you read the question, you'll see that he didn't ask for "the simple way", " the easiest way", or "the fastest way". What he asked was, (and I'll quote him to be sure there's no mistake here)
Would the best way be
And IMO, if you are
i'm replacing plugs at least once a year
you are doing something wrong when you replace them, or you are abusing them in one way or another. Leaving the wire too short to be able to make a turn falls in the former.

If anyone would rather use duct tape vs. a tape designed specifically for electrical repairs, or twist wires together vs. soldering or using a good quality connector, or if you want to make fun of anyone that tries to do a better quality job, I'm glad you don't make or repair the things I own or use. :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338723#p338723 said:
MrSimon » 15 Jan 2014, 13:09[/url]"]A cheap little soldering kit from the hardware store .... some wire strippers .... a pack of heat shrink tubes .... and a lighter

Takes about ten minutes start to finish and you'll have an excellent fix.

Plus, soldering and using heat shrink tubes is actually a lot of fun.

The problem with soldering, at least as far as circuits exposed to the environment are concerned, is that when you heat the wire, it's just like when you heat metal to weld it. That is the first place it is going to corrode. And this is why ABYC and NMMA codes do not recommend soldering, but using the procedures outlined above. Yes, soldering will work, but for long-term reliability, why not do it the right way, go ahead and spend the little bit of extra money and time, buy quality, and only cry once!

Now, I'm sorry if that seems like an arrogant or dumbass comment, but I personally don't enjoy spending my time having to go back and fix things over and over again, that gets old, and irritating, real quick.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338996#p338996 said:
bcbouy » Yesterday, 14:37[/url]"]read my first post closer before you make dumbass comments
Now there's a concise, intelligent, and well thought out response. :roll: :popcorn:

I bought a 2004 Ford Ranger and my boat trailer wiring was too short. I needed something fast. I bought a new plug kit from Auto Zone that came with the electric grease and the trailer plug on 12 inches of wire. I cut the old plug off, spliced the wire with crimp splices, filled the splices with the grease and wrapped them with self fusing silicone tape that I had. Six dollars and 30 minutes, I was on the road. It should last a few years.

Years ago, I was fixing a trailer light connection before heading out to go fishing.
An electrician fishing buddy of mine went into his truck and came back with some small orange wire nuts and a tube of silicone.

He stripped the wires, screwed them together with the wire nuts and filled the nuts with silicone. Then he shoved them inside the trailer. They never, ever failed again, even after a number of years. I'd change bulbs, but never had to touch the wiring again.

Simple, fast, effective, cheap, and 100% permanent.

-TH

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338999#p338999 said:
PSG-1 » 18 Jan 2014, 18:08[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338723#p338723 said:
MrSimon » 15 Jan 2014, 13:09[/url]"]A cheap little soldering kit from the hardware store .... some wire strippers .... a pack of heat shrink tubes .... and a lighter

Takes about ten minutes start to finish and you'll have an excellent fix.

Plus, soldering and using heat shrink tubes is actually a lot of fun.

The problem with soldering, at least as far as circuits exposed to the environment are concerned, is that when you heat the wire, it's just like when you heat metal to weld it. That is the first place it is going to corrode. And this is why ABYC and NMMA codes do not recommend soldering, but using the procedures outlined above. Yes, soldering will work, but for long-term reliability, why not do it the right way, go ahead and spend the little bit of extra money and time, buy quality, and only cry once!

Now, I'm sorry if that seems like an arrogant or dumbass comment, but I personally don't enjoy spending my time having to go back and fix things over and over again, that gets old, and irritating, real quick.

Um, did you forget that on the previous page of this post, you agreed with Jmichael that soldering and using heat shrink tubing was the correct way to fix the OP's problem?

I use a little bit of dielectric grease on the bare wire because I have it, then put the connections in wire nuts and fill the end with Goop. Shouldn't be going anywhere.

Two things that do the most damage to my trailers wire harness are lawn mowers and chipmunks. I'm getting pretty good at replacing the harness. I'd like to find something that chipmunks hate.